Looking for some holiday ideas with teenagers?
Traveling with teenagers don’t need to be a daunting task. Just make sure to keep them busy at all times. Who knows, if you go somewhere really interesting they may even forget to check their phones!
Our eldest daughter is turning 14 soon and our middle child has just hit the lovely tween years. We really find that it is important to find destinations that they personally have an interest in. We also try to incorporate various activities, sights, and tours that we know that they will love!!
A happy teenager sure makes for a better travel companion in contrast to a grumpy one! You might have to change the way you used to travel, but a vacation with teenagers can be loads of fun for everyone too.
Here are the 10 best teenage holiday destinations to check out in 2020
Click HERE to save listicle to Pinterest!
Although the world is full of sensational family destinations, here are our top 10 best vacations for teens. But before we start I think it is important to have a quick brainstorm session and write down all the things you teenager is currently passionate about, because the best vacations for teenagers is one that involves activities that they will love – and every teenager is different.
Looking for one of the best holidays for teenagers that also offer a good dose of adventure? For one of the most teenage friendly holidays that you can have, why not head to Dubai.
Teenagers will enjoy the adrenaline rush of a desert 4×4 safari, or why not take them on a camel ride across the dunes. The sand-dunes are so beautiful, your teenagers will be as awestruck as you!
Had enough of the sand? Take them to the beautiful beach where they can kill some energy.
After more water during the hot days? How about these for some great holiday ideas for teenagers:
- Aquaventure Waterpark
- IMG Worlds of Adventure
- Lost Chambers Aquarium
- Hub Zero Gaming Experience
- Hysteria Haunted House
- Glow-in-the-Dark Mini Golf
- Thrill Zone Laser Tag
- Virtual Worlds Gaming
Don't forget to head to the mall. Why? Because their malls are AMAZING.
The teenagers will love the ice rink, but there is also an Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, as well as a really cool indoor theme park. You can kill lots of time on the rope courses, in the arcade, on the rollercoasters and simulators and more! It’s definitely one of the best holidays with teenagers you can have!
Where to Stay in Dubai:
For an epic family trip, why not book a room at the world-famous all-inclusive Atlantis The Palm.
This resort has rooms to fit up to 6 people. But the beauty of the resort is that it provides an underwater aquarium, swimming with dolphins opportunities and complimentary access to the Aquaventure water park and the Lost Chambers Aquarium. So you can entertain the teens without even leaving the resort!
Which Activities to Pre-Book:
- Click here to book your Desert Safari tour (includes a 4×4 ride, camel riding, henna tattoos and a BBQ dinner)
- Grab your tickets online for IMG Worlds of Adventure (the largest indoor theme park in the world)
- Secure your tickets for the popular Atlantis Aquaventure Water Park (fun rides, attractions and access to their private beach)
- Book a fun day at Ski Dubai (ride a traditional toboggan, climb inside a human hamster ball, play interactive games in the snow cavern, meet some penguins)
- Grab tickets to visit Ferrari World (with over 25 racing-themed rides, shows and attractions, try out the unique F1 experience with state of the art racing simulators & more!)
- Grab your combo pass for Dubai Parks and Resorts (see three theme parks – Motiongate, Legoland, Bollywood Parks and one water park)
Best Time to Head to Dubai:
- Click here for more information on the best time to visit Dubai.
Maybe not the most unique from our list of teenage vacation ideas, but Hawaii has to be on the list. Hawaii is definitely one of the best activity holidays for teenagers and families.
Of course, we all know that Hawaii is the perfect island-style vacation. It is one of the best family vacations with teens who love water, the beach and surfing.
Sometimes the best holidays for teenagers is simply a destination where they can be lazy. But for those who love to stay active, there are plenty of things to do to kill the energy.
Teenagers can enjoy some stand-up paddleboard lessons, or why not learn how to conquer those waves on the surfboard. You can even go snorkeling! For the teenagers who love adrenaline, how about some jet-skiing or paragliding! You’re sure to come away with a really satisfied teen.
Had enough of the ocean? There are waterfalls to discover and horseback riding to enjoy. Grab your Go Oahu Card – All Inclusive Pass and visit some of the best attractions on Oahu.
Visit the historical Park of Pu’uhonua o Honaunau or visit Honolulu Zoo where you can see a range of endangered Sumatran tigers, Hawaiian Nene, Komodo dragons and black rhinos.
Where to Stay in Hawaii:
One of the best family resorts is situated in Hawaii. The Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, A Waldorf Astoria Resort is a fabulous 5-star resort that has rooms to fit up to 6 people.
The resort also has a water park,9 pools, as well as a teen lounge called The Spot. The teen lounge is a fabulous place where teenagers can go to play video games, table tennis, air hockey, foosball, and pool. They also have video games over Ohana Hale.
For the more active teenagers, it also offers paddleboard lessons, guided stand-up paddle excursions, guided kayak tours, and the outrigger canoe experience.
Which Activities to Pre-Book:
- Umauma Falls Zipline Experience in Big Island
- Oahu Snorkeling and Turtle Watching Half Day Tour
- Kauai Ultimate Off-Road Ranch Tour (See the filming locations of mega-hits like ‘Jurassic Park,’ ‘Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark’ and ‘The Descendants')
- Big Island in a Day: Volcanoes, Waterfalls, Sightseeing, History
- Kualoa Ranch One Day Adventure in Oahu (Choose among 9 packages and unveil the gems of the natural paradise by foot, horseback, or all-terrain vehicle)
One of the best places to go with teenagers who love vintage cars!! Cuba is often recognized for two prominent characters Fidel Castro and Che Guevara. This country has a rich history of French colonial architecture and is also world famous for its Cuban cigars.
Teenagers will love to take a tour around Havana in a vintage car and see the old styled beautiful architecture of the city! A teenage holiday with parents doesn’t have to be boring.
You can spend your day on the beaches of Playa Blanca and Playa Lindarena and visit Playa Tortugato to see the sea turtle conservation farm which is also a popular sea turtle nesting site.
You can also trek through the stunning Escambray Mountains in the reserve site of Topes de Collantes. They are absolutely gorgeous, and make for one of the greatest teenage family adventure holidays!
After something more for yourself? You can visit the Viñales Valley and try cigar tasting and trek through the large tobacco fields.
Which Activities to Pre-Book:
- Havana: 2-Hour Classic American Car Tour
- Cuba: Yumurí Valley Jeep Safari
- Yumuri Valley Jeep Safari from Varadero
4. California, USA
The best family holidays with teenagers often involve a good dose of outdoor nature. Yes, I know your teenager might complain, but if they are anything like our teenager, as soon as they are outdoors, they are happy and relaxed and having fun.
One of the best places to travel with teens in the USA is California. California is a US state which lies on the coast of the Pacific Ocean and is popular for Los Angeles, the hub of Hollywood movie industry.
California is a great place for people of all ages but there are lots of different attractions that teenagers will love. You can visit the Yosemite National Park which offers hiking trails and river rafting. You can visit Lake Tahoe which is popular for its ski resorts and stunning beaches.
Take a trip around the Universal Studios Hollywood to experience the thrill of making Hollywood movies. They also have Legoland (although we usually find that Legoland is aimed at the younger kids).
You can camp, hike or mountain bike in the Death Valley National Park. A few other locations to visit are Palm Springs, San Diego, Griffith Park, and Knott's Berry Farm. If you’re wondering where to go on vacation with teenagers in America, this is the best place!
Which Activities to Pre-Book:
- Full-Day Iconic Sights of LA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, the beaches and more!
- San Francisco to Yosemite Park Small-Group Tour
- LA: Skip-the-Queue OUE Skyspace with Skyslide
- Universal Studios Hollywood: Early Access Ticket
5. Costa Rica
Costa Rica is a great place to take your restless teenagers. You can join guided treks through the rainforest where you are either walking through the canopy on suspension bridges and hike the paths of the Volcano!
You can expect to see monkeys, sloths, brightly colored frogs, large arachnids, reptiles, insects and hundreds of different kinds of birds.
Costa Rica has beautiful beaches and you can give surfing, snorkeling, or scuba diving a try.
‘Teenage holidays’ can be loads of fun for the adults too, see if you can find something that you both will love doing together!
Where to Stay in Costa Rica:
A fabulous hotel for your stay with your teenager/s is the popular Club y Hotel Condovac La Costa. This hotel offers 1 and 2 bedroom villas that can sleep up to 6 people.
We love the facilities and activities on offer at this resort. The teenagers will love the beautiful infinity pool, the tennis and basketball courts, the pool tables, free kayak gear and more. They can also sign up for activities such as hiking & beach volleyball.
Which Activities to Pre-Book:
- Grab your Guachipelin Adventure Volcano Combo Ticket – Zipline, Horseback & River Tubing
- Secure your spot on the ATV Side-by-Side Mountain & Beach tour From Tamarindo
- Enjoy a day out with a San Jose Wildlife Refuge & Chocolate Tour
- Have some fun on Rafting Class – “Jungle Run”: Río Sarapiquí
- Buy your ticket for the 100% Adventure Park Combo: Zipline, Superman, and Mega Tarzan Tour in Monteverde
6. Marrakech, Morocco
The best holidays for tweens that don't mind the challenge of a brand-new culture. Marrakech is one of the best places to visit in Morocco!
Take your teenagers to the walled city of Marrakech and rent a traditional Riad to stay in. This traditional home has an interior courtyard or garden in the center of it that is great for relaxing at the end of a long day.
Spend your day exploring the exciting markets Marrakesh where you can wander through a labyrinth of streets and see wares for sale, like pottery, jewellery, and brightly colored materials and rugs.
You will also get to see exciting sights like snake charmers, entertainers, and fortunetellers.
For the ultimate family bonding experience, why not take a day trip out to the desert and you can try camel riding or trekking in the Atlas Mountains. This is one of our favorite holiday ideas for families!
Where to Stay in Marrakech:
A great option for your stay is in the Dar Rhizlane, Palais Table d'hôtes & Spa. It can be hard to find bigger rooms in Marrakech and this hotel has accommodation to suit up to 6 peoples. The outdoor pool will keep the teenagers happy whilst the parents can relax at the spa: win-win!
Which Activities to Pre-Book:
- Atlas Mountains and Three Valleys: Guided Day Trip
- Desert Agafay and Atlas Mountains & Camel ride Day Trip
- Ouzoud Waterfalls Full-Day Tour
- Marrakech Desert & Palm Grove Quad Bike Tour
7. Sri Lanka
For the teenagers that love animals, Sri Lanka is one of the best teenage holiday destinations to visit.
Sri Lanka holidays offer a variety of experiences for teenagers with many outdoor activities. Sri Lanka also has a lot of historic sites to visit. Be sure to visit Dambulla Cave Temple where you can see relics and art. Explore the Temple of the Tooth, which houses the tooth of Buddha.
A visit to Sigiriya, a rock fortress that is accessible by steep stairs will tire your teenagers out.
You can also visit the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage to feed and clean up after the elephants or hop on one of the many safaris to see what wildlife you can spot.
Be sure to visit Arugam Bay where you can relax on the pristine beach or give surfing a try.
Grab more tips about how to travel around Sri Lanka with kids here. Truly a great option for those who are after teenage family adventure holidays.
- Grab some important information and tips for your trip to Sri Lanka here.
8. Cancun, Mexico
Cancun, Mexico, offers an unforgettable experience for the whole family. The combination of surreal natural beauty, fascinating history and a lively atmosphere makes Cancun a top choice for your next teenage holidays with parents!
Between exploring the sea life in the remarkably blue waters, swimming with the dolphins at Isla Mujeres and tasting the spicy, flavorsome cuisine of Mexico, your teens will have very little time for much else! The only time you’ll see your children on the phone is when they are snapping away at the unbelievable scenery.
In addition to countless outdoor activities, Mexico is also rich in culture and heritage. When not snorkeling in the clear waters, you can enjoy a family trip to Chichén Itzá, the archeological wonderworld.
With so many exciting attractions and activities, it’s no wonder that Cancun, Mexico, is one of the top destinations for holidays with teenagers. With so many incredible resorts and accommodation options available, it will be a hard job leaving!
Where to Stay in Cancun:
One of the most popular resort by far is the gorgeous Hyatt Ziva Cancun. This 5-star resort has rooms that fit up to 4 people.
it is a pretty beachfront resort that is set on thestrip of Punta and framed by the Caribbean Sea. The teenagers will love the theatre shows or they can choose to lounge out at one of the 3 beautiful pools.
Which Activities to Pre-Book:
- Chichén Itzá, Ik Kil Cenote & Valladolid All-Inclusive Tour
- Swim with Whale Sharks Experience
- Jolly Roger Pirate Night Show and Dinner
- Reef and Shipwreck Snorkeling Tour
- ATV, Ziplines and Cenote Combo Tour at Extreme Adventure Eco Park
Arguably the highlight of any trip to Greece is the delectable Meditteranean cuisine. Going on a family holiday to Greece will leave you with unforgettable memories of light-hearted conversation over platters of olives, cheeses and fresh seafood.
But it’s not only the food that makes Greece one of the best places to vacation with teenagers. With so many islands to explore, you can easily get swept away hopping from one island to the other, swimming in the sea and relaxing in the sun.
For a truly authentic experience, make sure that you add Santorini and Mykonos to your destination list.
As one of the oldest civilizations, Greece is rich in history. Your teens are sure to be enthralled by one of the mythology tours or caught up in visiting ancient ruins. Whether you choose to visit the famous city of Athens or the quaint island villages, Greece promises a special experience for the whole family.
- Here is a list of 5 hidden gems of Greece that you should include in your itinerary.
- Thinking of chartering a yacht? Here are 7 perfect places to check out whilst on your yacht in Greece.
We have several guides and travel blogs on the wonders offered by traveling in Italy, however, Italy’s neighboring country, Spain, is just as incredible! Spain is home to one of the best teenage holiday resorts, like La Manga Club, but that’s not all.
The vibrant country offers the full package – idyllic beaches, tantalizing cuisine, a lively atmosphere and a fascinating culture! Your traveling teens will be completely enthralled by the adventurous activities on offer.
From theme park excitement in Costa Dorada to exhilarating water sports, your biggest challenge will be pulling your teens away from the fun to reapply their sunblock. Spain has finely tuned its tourism offerings to cater for holidays for teens.
For teenagers with an interest in art and design, make sure that you add Barcelona and the Gaudi buildings to your list of things to do.
If your kids are sports fanatics, then you can book a tour to a football stadium, and if your children prefer relaxing in the sun, then choose any of Spain’s charming seaside towns to visit!
- Here is our list of the best places to visit in Spain.
- Love island hopping? Here is our list of 5 islands to visit in Spain.
- Love the combination of a city and beach trip? You will love these 5 coastal Spanish cities.
- Wondering what to do in Barcelona with kids? Our post has you covered!
- If you are traveling with a teenager or as a group, you will need an easy way to go around the destinations. We recommend that you choose the group taxi service, which you can book online.
Conclusion on the Best Places to Go on Vacation with Teenagers
We hope you have enjoyed our holiday ideas for teens. I really believe that the best place to go on holiday with teenagers will be different for each family. The trick is to find a destination that matches their interests, passions, and personality.
I would love to know which of the best holidays with teens you thought would be the match for your child.
Connect with Wanderlust Storytellers!
Be sure to follow us on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Save this Post for Future References:
Over to You:
- Which destinations have you found to be a hit with your teenager?
- What’s the best holiday for a teenager? What activities does the destination need to include to keep your teenager happy?
- Do you want to know about the best teenage holiday destinations in Australia?