Whether visiting attractions or enjoying a gelato (or three), Europe with kids is the perfect opportunity to build memories with your quickly sprouting squad.
When looking to travel to Europe with your family, you have a whole host of attractive options.
From the captivating coves of Croatia to Spain's vibrant and spicy culture, Europe has a tapestry of terrific experiences hidden within its folds.
Traveling without your young clan often leaves you with a heavy heart, so you shouldn’t have to choose between adrenaline-fueled adventure and quality family time.
An exciting swirl of country hopping and family fun time has the potential to up your travel game to the next level by planning a Europe holiday.
So to compile a helpful list of the best places to visit with kids in Europe, we called on the help of well-traveled families to share their expertise in traveling with their kids around this beautiful continent.
Asking them for their opinions and collating the results to bring you the 15 best destinations to travel Europe with kids!
Here are the best places to travel in Europe with kids.
Europe is a wonderland of green fields, lush mountains, blue seas, and much more. It’s also a very family-friendly destination with many of the best cities to travel to in Europe with kids! The transport is easy, and generally, language is communicable.
We find that the absolute best family holidays in Europe are always the ones that we find to be a joy to travel around with the children!
These places and cities offer so many fun and exciting activities and outings to do as a family that you may want to consider on your next European family vacation!
Need help determining which European locations are kid-friendly and provide enough stimulation for your bouncing bundles of joy? Let us guide you through the best places to travel in Europe with kids to ensure your family vacation goes off without a hitch.
So, what are you waiting for? The enchanting call of Europe awaits!
1. Sweden with Kids
Sweden, especially Stockholm, was voted one of the best places in Europe for kids! It’s popular among families for a good reason.
There are many different attractions, scenic gardens, and parks to visit, and it’s a stroller-friendly destination and one of the best European family vacations!
Where to Go with Kids in Sweden:
There are loads of museums and galleries for great educational visits and many zoos and amusement parks to keep the kids entertained across various cities in Sweden; however, Stockholm is one of the best European cities to visit with kids!
Here are some of our favorite things to do in Stockholm with kids:
Stockholm Kids Attractions:
- The kids will love Stockholm’s Land and Water tour by Amphibious Bus
- Book a fun day out exploring Stockholm on this Segway Tour
- Save money by purchasing the Go City All-Inclusive Pass for over 45 Attractions
- Grab tickets for the Vasa Museum to show your kids the remains of a capsized ship
- Djurgarden Island has a range of activities that both adults and kids will enjoy!
Where to Stay with Kids in Stockholm:
- The best family-friendly hotel to stay at is the Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel. They have a family room that sleeps 2 adults, plus 2 kids on the fold-out bed, plus they can add an extra cot or bed as well.
It’s also an English-speaking country, so you’ll have no problem communicating your needs and getting them met on this European vacation with kids!
If you are looking for the best way to move around town, you can book your Stockholm taxi here!
2. Austria with Kids
If you are looking for a great country to visit with kids, it’s hard to beat Austria. It has the oldest amusement park in the world, salt mines that are walkable, the world’s most extensive ice caves, and dinosaur parks.
Where to Go with Kids in Austria:
Austria has many interesting things to do, and fun places to visit that will excite the whole family! A country characterized by mountain villages, baroque architecture, fascinating history, and rugged alpine terrain.
From the world’s oldest amusement park to the world’s largest ice cave, here are the best things to do in Austria in Europe with kids:
Vienna Kids Attractions
- Visit the world’s oldest amusement park!
- Take the kids to enjoy the attractions at Schönbrunn Palace, which has a maze and a large zoo to explore! Grab skip-the-line tickets online here.
- Check out the ZOOM Children’s museum, with numerous exhibitions and events for kids!
- Discover flora and fauna at Haus des Meeres
Salzburg Kids Attractions
- Marvel at the world’s largest ice cave in Werfen. Book your tour from Saltzburg here.
- Take a trip to the famous Hallstatt Salt Mine.
- Enjoy plenty more day trips from Salzburg – find a list of the best day trip from Salzburg here.
This means that there are various ways to keep your children entertained no matter how old they are. No wonder this country is a hot favorite as one of the best places to travel in Europe with kids!
The best time to visit Austria is in April and May or September and October. The weather tends to be mild, it’s not as crowded as the busy summer months, and hotel rates are generally cheaper during this time.
Where to Stay with Kids in Austria:
- Vienna: The beautiful Vienna-apartment-one Schmidgasse has one to four-bedroom apartments. So perfect for smaller to larger families.
- Salzburg: The JUFA Hotel Salzburg City has 2-bedroom apartments that are perfect for families who love space (and their own rooms!).
3. Croatia with Kids
Not many people realize just how family-friendly Croatia is, but honestly, it is one of the best countries for family vacations. The best time to visit this country is in June or September when it’s not as crowded or hot.
Croatia is one of the best places in Europe with kids because, throughout Croatia, you will find that there are strong family values which makes it a very welcoming country for those that are traveling with children.
Where to Go with Kids in Croatia:
Croatia has many safe beaches and hiking trails that suit all abilities, as well as a handful of interactive museums, ancient towns, and fortresses that will make the kids feel like they’re in a fairytale!
Some of our favorite destinations in Croatia include both Dubrovnik and Split. Here are some ideas of what to do in both of these:
Dubrovnik Kids Attractions
- See the scenery of marine life, and discover amazing caves from a sea kayak! Book your 3-hour tour here.
- Explore the Old Town walls and castles in the historic center!
Split Kids Attractions
- Explore the Krka waterfalls and go swimming in the blue waters. Book your full-day tour from Split here.
- The kids will love the famous Blue Cave and exploring Hvar. Book your 5 Islands tour from Split here.
Many people will go above and beyond to ensure that your and your children's needs are met throughout your time here.
Your kids will love their trip through Croatia, and without a doubt, I can confidently say that it is one of the best places for kids in Europe.
Best Family-Friendly Hotels in Croatia:
- Dubrovnik: The Sun Gardens Dubrovnik is a fantastic 5-star hotel with 1, 2, and 5-bedroom units. It also has a kids club and a gorgeous pool.
- Split: The beautiful and luxurious Radisson Blu Resort & Spa can fit small or large-sized families. It has a gorgeous pool and a kids club. Check out our article on the best luxurious hotels in Split here.
4. The Netherlands with Kids
Holland is one of the best places in Europe to visit with kids and has numerous attractions that will make your family vacation fun and unforgettable! From zoos to historical squares and lively markets!
We love how children are often catered to, and you can easily find someone who speaks English if you need assistance.
Where to Go with Kids in the Netherlands
Public transportation is incredibly efficient, so you can easily explore the country and see many attractions.
But of course, we know that most of you would be keen to explore Amsterdam, so here are some of our favorite kids' attractions in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam Kids Attractions:
- Take the kids to play glow-in-the-dark mini golf. You can grab some online tickets here.
- Go on an educational visit to the museums! You can grab some Skip-the-Line tickets for a private guided tour through both Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum here.
- Enjoy an outdoor tour of the Dutch countryside’s windmills and factories. Book your half-day tour here.
- Have fun on the rides at the Efteling theme park! Grab your ticket online here.
It’s a good idea to purchase a Museumkaart because it will allow you to access a lot of different attractions and skip the lines often.
We believe that the Netherlands is one of the best places to travel Europe with kids, whether they are young or older! You can find more info on what to do with kids in Amsterdam here.
Best Family-Friendly Hotel in Amsterdam:
- The best hotel for families is the Anantara Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky Amsterdam. It is located right in Dam square and has beautiful family rooms. This hotel is all about the handy location to see the highlights for first-time visitors.
5. England with Kids
Another one of the top favorite countries proudly takes up its place on the best places to visit in Europe with a kids list. The locals speak English, there are efficient public transportation systems in place, and the locals are very friendly.
All our favorite features tick the boxes as one of Europe's best places to visit with kids.
Where to Go with Kids in England:
We love visiting London with our kids. There’s also so much for kids to do, including going on a Harry Potter Tour, riding the tube to a local market, visiting Legoland, or taking a trek to see Big Ben.
Here is a list of our favorite kids' attractions:
London Kids Attractions:
- Explore the best sights on a Harry Potter Tour. Book your spots on the Harry Potter walking tour here.
- Fun for the whole family on a bus Hop-On-Hop-Off. Book your tickets here.
- Visit SEA LIFE and learn about the incredible marine life. Secure some tickets online here.
- The kids will love seeing all the animals at the Zoo! Grab your tickets for the Zoo online here.
- Get the family's blood rushing at the London Dungeon. Grab your tickets for the London Dungeon online here
- See if you can spot the royal family at Buckingham Palace
- Visit the famous Tower of London
- Let the kids loose to kill some energy at the playgrounds in Hyde Park
Because there are so many attractions and sights to see throughout the country, you may have to save some of the sights you wanted for your next trip, as there won’t be enough time to do it all.
Family-Friendly Hotels To Book In London:
- The Montcalm Royal London House-City of London is an incredibly popular hotel that has a rooftop bar with incredible views. You will love their family suite.
6. Italy with Kids
Italy was a favorite of ours when traveling around Europe with kids. With a beautiful Mediterranean coastline, ancient ruins, and famous art and historical influences, there is so much to discover for the whole family!
Don’t forget to enjoy some gelato or a good slice of pizza while you are in Italy.
Where to Go with Kids in Italy:
Italy is a large country that can take up to 12 hours to travel from one side to the other, so you may want to choose a particular part of Italy to visit with your family in Europe.
We spent three months traveling around Italy with our kids, and there are so many beautiful places to visit. I know that Rome and Florence are two popular destinations, so here are some ideas of what to do in each:
Rome Kids Attractions:
A lot of travelers enjoy the Colosseum as it’s unique. Make sure you take your children to the Spanish Steps as long as they are up for a bit of a climb.
- Explore the famous Colosseum! Grab your Skip-the-Line tickets with a guided tour here.
- Walk along with the gorgeous Spanish steps
- Take a rickshaw ride around the city
- Take a tour of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. Grab your Skip-the-Line tickets here.
Florence Kids Attractions:
- Admire the incredible art at the Uffizi Museum (more suitable for older kids). Grab your tickets online here.
- Climb the famous Duomo for a fantastic view! Grab your tickets for the tour here.
- Take the kids for a pizza and gelato-making class!
Many families make Italy their top choice for travel each year. No matter how old your children are, there’s much to do here.
It might be my pick as the best place in Europe for kids – but don't just take my word for it, book your trip and try it out for yourself!
Family-Friendly Hotels To Book In Italy:
- Rome: The Hive Hotel is a modern hotel in an excellent location. They have rooms for up to 4 people.
- Florence: For a great stay I would choose Boutique Hotel del Corso. The hotel has large comfy rooms and is located very close to the Duomo.
7. Greece With Kids
Greece is a friendly nation that adores kids so much that transportation is offered free of charge in certain cities.
This country is also home to many attractions catering to various interests, with beaches, museums, historic ruins, and majestic monasteries.
In fact, Greece has 18 UNESCO world heritage sites that are worthy of a visit – a great way to get some history lessons into your travel days.
Honestly, Greece is just such a relaxing destination to visit. We never felt judged (when Avie wasn't behaving perfectly), and people were genuinely friendly. We spent 5 weeks traveling around Greece, and it was honestly one of the best European family holidays we have had.
Where To Go In Greece:
While there are dozens of hidden gems in Greece, we’d recommend a classic family vacation to Athens for its long list of fun attractions.
The Greek Islands are of course an obvious alternative or addition to Greece. An excellent choice from the Greek Islands would be Crete, the largest island in the country. Both boast an unending list of activities suitable for the whole family.
Athens Kids Attractions:
- Have fun touring the city of Athens atop the Happy Train, which travels between Ermou Street and Syntagma Square.
- Explore the ruins of the Acropolis. We recommend bringing a carrier as strollers will struggle to navigate the area.
- If your kids are fascinated by Greek Gods and Goddesses, take them on a treasure hunt in search of statues, museums, and temples dedicated to them.
Crete Kids Attractions:
- Enjoy unique pink sand on the shores of Elafonisi Beach, along with its clean, shallow waters.
- Discover hundreds of marine life at the CRETAquarium Thalassocosmos.
- Head to the Knossos Palace for its fiction-like ruins and paintings. Grab your Knossos Palace tour tickets here.
Greece is the perfect family holiday destination, with beaches, interactive museums, scenic views, and fun attractions like waterparks. It’s also great for introducing your palates to some of the best Mediterranean cuisines.
Family-Friendly Hotels To Book In Greece:
- Athens: The Athens Connection Apartments are very well located and will offer your family the space they need to breathe. They have 1 or 2-bedroom apartments available to book. Check out our recommendations for the best hotels in Athens with rooftop pools here.
- Crete: Crete is a pretty big island, but if you want to base yourself in Chania, this is where we personally stayed during our trip there – Casa Anthos.
8. Belgium with Kids
Known for its waffles, how could families not love Belgium? This country is smaller than other European countries, but what it lacks in size, it makes up for in culture and food.
Where to Go with Kids in Belgium:
Belgium is a great country to explore with kids, as you can quickly move around by train. We adore Brussels and Bruges.
Here are some suggestions for kids' attractions in both of these beautiful cities:
Brussels Kids Attractions:
- Families must visit Brussels to check out the Grand Palace or the Tintin Boutique (to pick up some comic books).
- Take the kids to see the amazing Atomium. Grab your admission tickets here.
- Participate in a chocolate workshop!
Bruges Kids Attractions:
- Take the family on a history and magic tour of Bruges to see the city! Grab some tickets for the tour here.
- Check out the amazing 3D Sculpture of Musea that 40 artists produced. Grab tickets online here.
- Go on a fun rickshaw tour of the city
- Enjoy a lively medieval dinner show as a family
- It’s also worth visiting Bruges to see the Chocolate and French Fry Museums.
Family-Friendly Hotels To Book In Barcelona:
- Brussels: The Radisson Collection Grand Place Brussels offers a comfortable and luxurious stay whilst exploring. They have family rooms available that can sleep up to 5 people.
- Bruges: The Martin's Brugge hotel has an unbeatable location, so handy for explorations. They have family rooms that can sleep up to 6 people.
Traveling Tip: The best way to get around Brussels is by taxi. You can book your Brussels taxi here.
9. Spain with Kids
Looking for one of the best family destinations in Europe for a summer holiday?
This country isn’t just for adults. Children can have a great time here too. It has a rich history and plenty of places to explore.
Where to Go with Kids in Spain:
Spain is a beautiful country with so much to offer any traveler. Thanks to the country's high-speed trains, you can access many destinations quickly, but Barcelona was one of our favorites for the kids!
Barcelone is such a big city, so it offers sights, attractions, and activities that your entire family will enjoy.
Barcelona Kids Attractions:
- Take a family tour of the Sagrada familia
- Visit the zoo and entertain the kids with a dolphin show! Grab your tickets here.
- There are many parks for the younger kids, and beaches if your children need a little downtime.
- Families can also enjoy a lot of historical treasures, including Isabella’s Alcazar and Sagrada Familia.
Family-Friendly Hotels To Book In Barcelona:
- The Hotel Paxton Barcelona has family-connecting rooms. It is situated in the best-rated area in Barcelona and has a review score of 8.3/10.
10. Germany with Kids
Germany is one of our favorite family destinations in Western Europe.
One of the main reasons why Germany is a great destination to travel to with children is that it has affordable public transportation. This means that you can save money by not having to rent a car and can splurge on some of the many activities here.
Many people speak English in this country and are happy to help tourists with whatever they need.
The winter months are the best time to visit Germany with children, as travelers can visit the memorable Berlin Christmas markets.
Where to Go with Kids in Germany:
Families will love the interactive museums and informative outings to keep the kids entertained while exploring the best places to travel with kids in Germany!
You can start by planning your trip around popular destinations such as Berlin and Munich.
Berlin Kids Attractions:
- Explore the many sights and landmarks in Berlin on a Hop-On-Hop-Off tour.
- Take the kids to the Legoland Discovery Center!
- Visit the Berlin Zoo and Tierpark
Munich Kids Attractions:
- Kids will love the fantastic fairytale-like castles from Munich! Book your day trip here.
- Explore the beautiful parks and incredible architecture of the churches and cathedrals.
Germany is one of the best places in Europe for kids, with its otherworldly charm with castles and medieval towns and all the mythical parks and safe outdoor areas to explore.
Family-Friendly Hotels To Book In Germany:
- Berlin: The Schulz Hotel Berlin Wall at the East Side Gallery has over 16 000 reviews on Booking.com. It is in a great location and has some lovely family rooms available to book.
- Munich: The Arthotel Munich is one of the most popular hotels. In a great location to explore Munich and it has quadruple rooms for small to medium-sized families.
11. Denmark with Kids
Denmark is often forgotten about when planning family travel to Europe. It’s a shame as it’s very family-friendly. The public transportation system is highly efficient, making it easy to see many sights while you are here.
Many businesses will go out of their way to accommodate families, and children in Denmark are rarely made to feel unwelcome by the locals!
Where to go with Kids in Denmark:
Copenhagen is a great city to visit with little ones as there’s a lot to do. The Tivoli Gardens was one of our favorites and had theatres, gardens, and plenty of rides to keep children entertained. We can also recommend Odense.
Here are some ideas of what to do in each of these destinations.
Copenhagen Kids Attractions:
- Spend a day of fun for the whole family on the rides at Tivoli Gardens. Grab your skip-the-line tickets here.
- Enjoy a guided bike tour of Copenhagen and see all the capital's highlights. Listen to fun stories and anecdotes about Danish culture, and feel free to make suggestions to your guide. Book your tour here.
- Go on a tour of the must-see untold stories of Copenhagen to see the best sights and learn all about the city.
Odense Kids Attractions:
- Navigate the charming streets and lovely green parks all around
- Take the kids to Odense Zoo to see all the animals and shows
- Enjoy the museums
Denmark is filled with theme parks, amusement parks, zoos, and child-friendly beaches, making it one of the best places to visit in Europe with kids.
Family-Friendly Hotels To Book In Denmark:
- Copenhagen: The Radisson Collection Royal Hotel is in an excellent location and has beautiful family rooms for small to medium size families.
- Odense: Amalie Bed and Breakfast & Apartments has some beautiful 1 to 2-bedroom apartments available for families.
12. France with Kids
Being one of the most popular countries for all travelers, it should be no surprise that France is an excellent place for families to visit in Europe!
However, as a word of caution, while we list France as one of the best places to take kids in Europe, I didn't find their culture welcoming to babies and toddlers. Perfect for older kids, though!
Where to Visit in France with Kids:
France has many alpine villages, breathtaking architecture, gardens, and outdoor activities, making it an excellent place for a European family vacation!
Of course, you can't go to France and not visit Paris (the beautiful City of Light), but we also love places such as Nice and Colmar for family trips.
Paris Kids Attractions:
Kids will create memories they cherish forever as they find themselves in awe looking at the Eiffel Tower, enjoying the exhibits at The Natural History Museum, and being amazed at the Paris Catacombs.
- Go to Disneyland Paris! A must-do in Paris with kids! Grab your tickets online here.
- Walk around Luxembourg Gardens and take the kids for a spin on the old-fashioned carousel in Tuileries Gardens.
- Go on a cruise on the Seine river with a unique perspective on the famous landmarks of Paris.
- Ascend the Eiffel Tower and marvel at the view over Paris. Grab your skip-the-line with host tickets online here.
It is also great to rent a car and go on a road trip to see cities such as Nice and Colmar!
Tip: Despite having a decent public transportation system, you may walk a lot. Make sure you plan for plenty of breaks and wear comfortable shoes.
Where to Stay with Kids in Paris:
- Find more space at this Aparthotel in the center of Paris. The Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris has an apartment that sleeps up to 4 which is perfect for families. It also has a fully-equipped kitchen.
13. Poland With Kids
Despite its storied past, this European nation is more than just a historophile’s playground. Poland and its alluring cities have a ton of attractions suited for all types of tourists, including children of all ages.
Where To Go In Poland:
Poland has a myriad of attractions suited to both parents and kids. From museums detailing the nation’s history to cooler places like gardens and zoos. During your Poland travels, we’d recommend the obvious pick of Warsaw and the less-touristy and peaceful Wroclaw.
Warsaw Kids Attractions:
- Rebuilt after WWII by the locals, the Old Town is an incredible area with energetic squares that often host fun events. While walking around the quaint town is great, we’d recommend making your way around this area via segway. Grab your segway tour tickets here.
- Head over to the Copernicus Science Centre to interact with over 450 interactive exhibits.
- Discover over 3000 animals at the Warsaw Zoological Garden.
Wroclaw Kids Attractions:
- Take the kids on a gnome hunting trip where they’ll search for dwarf and goblin statues.
- Walk in the Old Town while marveling at architectural wonders like the Wroclaw Cathedral and learning about the city’s past. Grab your Old Town tour tickets here.
- Enjoy an exciting light show at the Wroclaw Multimedia Fountain.
For some more in-depth recommendations, check out our guides on things to do in Warsaw and things to do in Wroclaw.
Family-Friendly Hotels To Book In Poland:
- Warsaw: For a prime spot, don't look further than MONDRIAN Luxury Suites & Apartments Market Square IV. They have various size apartments that would suit families. Located right in the old town.
- Wroclaw: The Wyndham Wroclaw Old Town is located just 50 m from the Main Market Square in Wroclaw. It has rooms suitable for small to medium size families.
14. Portugal With Kids
The Mediterranean nation of Portugal is a great European destination when traveling with kids, as it has some of the friendliest locals anywhere. Not to mention, it has dozens of attractions that kids of all ages will enjoy.
Where To Go In Portugal:
While a relatively small nation, Portugal has no shortage of destinations or attractions suited for families. Of the charming country’s cities, there isn’t a place we’d recommend more than Lisbon.
The Portuguese capital city has amenities to match its big-city status but also has a certain charm you wouldn’t expect of a metropolitan. Also, the locals are warm and have a positive attitude toward kids—what’s not to love here?
Many restaurants in these cities have high chairs for younger kids, they’re walkable and have efficient public transport.
However, we recommend bringing a baby changing pad as both cities don’t have many of these. Lisbon is also hilly, so opt for a carrier over a stroller.
Lisbon Kid-Friendly Activities:
- Take the kids to the Lisbon Oceanarium to watch their eyes grow in awe while they discover over 8000 sea creatures. Grab oceanarium entrance tickets here.
- Visit the Lisbon Zoo, which features a petting zoo for young kids.
- Head to the top of São Jorge Castle for picturesque city views.
Where to Stay with Kids in Lisbon:
- For large spacious 2-bedroom apartments look no further than the luxurious Legendary Lisboa Suites. Their apartments can fit up to 6 guests so great for larger families.
15. Czech with Kids
Czech is one of the most fascinating countries to visit with kids in Europe. It’s full of historical sights, impressive castles with complex infrastructure, and many medieval museums to explore!
After the endless stream of exhibitions and walking gets to the kids, it’s also a great place to find some fun child-specific attractions!
Where to go in Czech with Kids:
Czech is a country of many wonders, but one of the best European cities for Kids has to be its capital, Prague. Children often travel free or for a discounted price and have cheaper admission fees to many of the attractions!
Prague Kids Attractions:
- Visit Prague Castle and explore its fairytale-like wonder! Grab your small group tour here.
- Visit Mořský Svět, the country’s giant water tank filled with lots of fish!
- Check out the National Technical Museum, an oversized room stuffed with huge locomotives and old-fashioned cars.
- The kids will love the Prague Zoo. It’s a well-tended zoo with an extensive collection of exotic animals.
- Visit the toy museum at Prague Castle to see barbies, toy cars, and antique European and American toys.
Where to Stay with Kids in Prague:
- For spacious family accommodation, book a deluxe apartment at Golden Angel Suites by Prague Residences. Their apartments can sleep up to 4 plus accommodate one cot.
Typically completely forgotten about, Czech deserves a spot on the best places to go in Europe with kids' listicle.
Best Places To Travel To Europe With Kids FAQs
Here’s a quick breakdown answering all the frequently asked questions about traveling to Europe as a family.
For the most part, Europe is child-friendly, boasting destinations with numerous kid-friendly attractions, child-adoring locals, and affordable transport costs, with some even offering free transportation for kids.
In some cities, you’ll find child-focused amenities like changing tables, and high chairs in restaurants, and you’ll rarely have to worry about crime.
Wondering what the best European country to visit with kids is?
If you’re going abroad for the first time, our top recommendation would be Italy. The locals here adore children, and the large country offers many activities for kids of all ages.
Another great option is Spain, where you’re likely to run into a local ready to flash a smile. Not to mention, this country is filled with fun attractions like trips to the beach, food tours, and architectural masterpieces.
If you’re traveling in Europe with a baby, you’ll want to go to Austria. While the attractions are impressive, our favorite thing about Austria is its baby hotels loaded with fun amenities like water slides, swings, and the like.
As alternatives, we recommend Italy and Spain. Both are home to friendly locals and child-friendly attractions.
In Rome, for example, you’ll find hotels at the ready with cribs, diaper-changing mats, and the like.
Spain is relatively flat, meaning you can push your baby in a stroller, and breastfeeding is accepted.
Here is a list of the best baby travel gear to make your next trip easier and smoother.
We’d choose Italy here, more specifically Tuscany if you have a stroller that can handle its cobblestone streets, although a carrier is also a good idea.
A few restaurants have high chairs, but diaper-changing facilities are rare, so we’d recommend bringing portable high chairs and changing pads.
Furthermore, Spain has friendly locals, stroller-friendly terrain (except in Park Guell and Alhambra), and affordable local transportation. Unfortunately, Spain doesn’t have many restaurants with high chairs, so we recommend bringing your own.
Denmark has efficient public transport, while Copenhagen has many restaurants with high chairs. The city also has diaper-changing facilities in libraries, cafes, and museums—with SMK offering a complimentary pram.
For the Netherlands, Amsterdam is suitable for toddlers as you’ll find diaper-changing facilities in most public restrooms, high chairs in restaurants, and efficient public transport.
Here is a list of the best toddler travel gear to make life easier for your trip with your busy little one.
For the best family European holidays with a teenager or two, you might like to focus your trip around one of these fun cities.
Amsterdam has attractions like the Van Gogh Museum, the fabulous Straat Museum, and the swing at A’Dam Toren for teenagers.
Barcelona is home to the 4D Gaudi Experience, several beaches, and the PortAventura theme park for some teenage fun.
London is a great European destination for teenagers for its museums (Museum of London), movie locations (think Harry Potter), and famous Instagrammable streets.
Rome has famous historic locations, Instagrammable attractions, and awe-inspiring street art sure to wow your teen.
With its fantastic food, many shopping opportunities, and the globally-renowned Louvre or Eiffel Tower, Paris will keep most teenagers happy.
Summary of the Best Family Holiday Destinations in Europe
I know that was probably a bit of a mouth full, and I thought it might be a good idea to quickly give you an easy-to-scan list of the best European countries to visit with kids, which were mentioned above:
Hopefully, one of those kid-friendly European countries made your heart feel excited.
Final Thoughts on Your Next European Family Vacation
Europe is a continent that is full of magic and awe-inspiring places that you don’t need to be an adult to appreciate! These were some of the best European vacations with kids.
From the magnificent castles to the cultural ebbs and flows of each incredibly unique place, there is just so much hidden in the mountains and valleys of this vast continent.
These fantastic destinations were easy to explore with children and offered safe environments and efficient transport systems, making them some of the best places for family vacations in Europe!
You can also visit Europe all year round – here is an excellent post about when to visit Europe.
Wondering Where to Stay on Your Europe Holiday with Kids?
If you want accommodation, check out comparison websites like Cozycozy. The website compares accommodation options all in one place using 100+ providers like Airbnb, booking.com, Vrbo, and other big names.
This way, you can find the best accommodation according to your budget and needs, such as family-friendly accommodation from guesthouses, hotels, b&b, hostels, treehouses, and houseboats, you name, and you find it.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
Best holiday destinations for teenage families
Best Holiday Destinations in Asia for Kids
6 Action-Packed Family Adventure Holiday Ideas
Check out the best luggage for kids here
Leave us a Comment:
- Have you been to any of the best European family destinations on our list? Did you have a fabulous time there?
- Do you have any recommendations on the best family vacations in Europe that you can add to our list?
- When will you go on your next Europe holiday with kids?
ShirleyJune 27, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Gorgeous destinations to travel with your family.
Jolene EjmontJuly 17, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Glad you love them 🙂
Leela DeviJuly 4, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Really, these are the best places for enjoying with family and friends. Pictures are very inspirational and can inspire anyone to visit there.
Jolene EjmontJuly 17, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Thanks so much Leela 🙂
Jack R.July 18, 2018 at 6:54 pm
Certainly a great place to enjoy with your family. Thank you for this article!
MirandaJuly 23, 2018 at 1:23 pm
These are a great places to travel. Thanks for giving some of your insights and tips.
Jolene EjmontAugust 2, 2018 at 12:24 pm
You are welcome! Which destination are you visiting with your kids next?
Kanika BakshiNovember 6, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Such a perfectly timed post! I’m headed to England next month, and we were trying to figure out the best towns to visit. Adding Manchester to the list!thanks for the valuable information.
Jolene EjmontNovember 16, 2018 at 6:12 pm
You are welcome, have a brilliant time planning your trip!
Kanika BakshiJanuary 22, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Thank you so much for posting the article. I was really confused very to take my kids for a holiday after came across urs article know I finalized to visit France.
Jolene EjmontJanuary 24, 2019 at 1:32 am
Oh France is SO beautiful! You will love it 🙂
Kanika BakshiFebruary 18, 2019 at 5:01 pm
I had pick one place and enjoy it as much as possible! Perhaps Italy? It’s got a major airport and some beautiful things to see on the island. thanks for a great share its an indeed post.
Jolene EjmontMarch 4, 2019 at 2:24 pm
Italy is my favorite country and they are so welcoming to kids too, so it would be a great pick 🙂
Monica SharmaFebruary 19, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Great Article and thank you for posting the article. I was really confused were to go for a holiday with my family and then I came across your article and finalized to go to Denmark
Jolene EjmontMarch 4, 2019 at 2:17 pm
Oh lovely, you will have the best time! 🙂
Claire PMarch 16, 2019 at 9:38 pm
Yes, this summer i am planning France with my kids, i researched a lot before deciding this place and as you too mentioned in this article the beauty of Eiffel Tower..i am very much excited to start my journey as soon as possible…
Liliya HorshkovskaOctober 10, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Very useful stuff. I dream about visiting Italy, but cannot imagine how to do that with a 3-years-old kid:)
Jolene EjmontOctober 12, 2019 at 8:23 pm
Hi Liliya, we just spend 3 months traveling around Italy and our youngest was 2-3 (she had her 3rd birthday on the trip). The Italians LOVE kids and it is such a great country to visit with little ones! Let me know if you have any questions
SamanthaDecember 16, 2019 at 1:02 am
We are beginning to plan our first trip to Europe. We will be traveling with our 8 and 12 year old daughters. Which country and cities would you suggest?
Jolene EjmontJanuary 17, 2020 at 5:47 am
Hi Samantha, I am a big fan of Italy. We just spent 3 months there with our 3 kids (aged 2, 9 and 13). They did enjoy the coastal areas of Italy more than the cities though. What about a road trip around Sicily, or Puglia is beautiful too 🙂 Feel free to join our “Family Travel Support Group” on Facebook to ask other parents what they think as well – https://www.facebook.com/groups/wsfamilytravelsupportgroup/
cathyDecember 28, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Hi, we’re traveling in the summer to Greece with our 7 year old boy. We are considering stopping at another country for 5-7 days, and are considering going to Amsterdam or else Ireland. Do you have any preference? Thanks
Jolene EjmontJanuary 17, 2020 at 5:43 am
Hi Cathy, I would pick Amsterdam as there is loads of fun stuff for kids to do there. Ireland is beautiful but you spend a lot of time in a car which can be a bit boring for kids that age. Feel free to join our “Family Travel Support Group” on Facebook to ask other parents what they think as well – https://www.facebook.com/groups/wsfamilytravelsupportgroup/