Wondering where to go in Europe with kids? Unfortunately, not all destinations are very kid-friendly.
So it can be challenging to figure out which places will not only be the most fun for you and your kids but also has a culture that is welcoming to kids – even better if they absolutely love kids.
Some of you might also still have little kids, so finding a destination that is great for babies and toddlers might be important to you too.
So to compile a helpful list of the best places to travel in Europe with kids, we called on the help of well-traveled families to share their expertise in traveling with their kids around this beautiful continent.
Asking them for their opinions and collating the results to bring you the 12 best destinations to travel to in Europe with kids!
Here are the best places to travel in Europe with kids.
Europe is a wonderland of green fields, lush mountains, blue seas, and so much more. It’s also a very family-friendly destination with many of the best cities to travel in Europe with kids! The transport is easy and generally, language is communicable. You can also visit Europe all year around – here is a great post about when to visit Europe.
We find that the absolute best family holidays in Europe are always the ones that we found to be a joy to travel around with the children!
These places and cities offer so many fun and exciting activities and outings to do as a family that you may want to consider on your next European family vacation!
1. Sweden with Kids
Sweden and especially Stockholm, was voted as one of the best places in Europe for kids! It’s popular among families for good reason.
There are many different attractions, scenic gardens, and parks to visit, and it’s a stroller-friendly destination and one of the best European family vacations!
Where to Go with Kids in Sweden:
There are loads of museums and galleries for great educational visits and many zoos and amusement parks to keep the kids entertained across various cities in Sweden; however, Stockholm is one of our favorites!
Here are some of our favorite things to do in Stockholm with kids:
Stockholm Kids Attractions:
- The kids will love Stockholm’s Land and Water tour
- Book a fun day out at the Stockholm Zoo
- Grab tickets for the Vasa Museum to show your kids the remains of a capsized ship
- Djurgarden Island has a range of activities that both adults and kids will enjoy!
It’s also an English-speaking country, so you’ll have no problem communicating your needs and getting them met on this European vacation with kids!
If you are looking for the best way to move around town, you can book your Stockholm taxi here!
2. Austria with Kids
If you are looking for a great country to visit with kids, it’s hard to beat Austria. It has the oldest amusement park in the world, salt mines that are walkable, the world’s biggest ice caves as well as dinosaur parks.
Where to Go with Kids in Austria:
Austria has a plethora of interesting things to do and fun places to visit that will excite the whole family! A country characterized by mountain villages, baroque architecture and fascinating history and rugged alpine terrain.
From the world’s oldest amusement park to the world’s largest ice cave, here are the best things to do in Austria in Europe with kids:
Vienna Kids Attractions
- Visit the world’s oldest amusement park!
- Take the kids to enjoy the attractions at Schönbrunn Palace, which has a maze and a large zoo to explore! Grab skip-the-line tickets online here.
- Check out the ZOOM Children’s museum, with numerous exhibitions and events for kids!
- Discover the flora and fauna at Haus des Meeres
Salzburg Kids Attractions
- Marvel at the world’s largest ice cave in Werfen. Book your tour from Saltzburg here.
- Take a trip to the famous Hallstatt Salt Mine.
This means that there are a variety of different ways to keep your children entertained no matter how old they are. No wonder this country is a hot favourite as one of the best places to travel in Europe with kids!
The best time to visit Austria is in April and May or September and October. The weather tends to be mild, it’s not as crowded as the busy summer months and hotel rates are generally cheaper during this time.
3. Croatia with Kids
Not many people realize just how family-friendly Croatia is. The best time to visit this country is in June or September when it’s not as crowded or hot.
Croatia is one of the best places in Europe with kids because, throughout Croatia, you will find that there are strong family values which makes it a very welcoming country for those that are traveling with children.
Where to Go with Kids in Croatia:
Croatia has many safe beaches and hiking trails that suit all abilities, as well as a handful of interactive museums and ancient towns and fortresses that will make the kids feel like they’re in a fairytale!
Some of our favorite destinations in Croatia include both Dubrovnik and Split. Here are some ideas of what to do in both of these:
Dubrovnik Kids Attractions
- See the scenery of marine life, and discover amazing caves from a sea kayak! Book your 3-hour tour here.
- Explore the Old Town walls and castles in the historic center!
Split Kids Attractions
- Explore the Krka waterfalls and go swimming in the blue waters. Book your full-day tour from Split here.
- The kids will love the famous Blue Cave and exploring Hvar. Book your 5 Islands tour from Split here.
Many individuals will go above and beyond to make sure that the needs of you and your children are met throughout your time here. Our kids really loved their trip through Austria and without a doubt I can confidenty say that is is one of the best places for kids in Europe.
4. The Netherlands with Kids
Holland is one of the best places in Europe to visit with kids and has numerous attractions that will make your family vacation fun and unforgettable! From zoos to historical squares and lively markets!
We love how children are often catered to and you can easily find someone who speaks English if you are in need of assistance.
Where to Go with Kids in the Netherlands
Public transportation is incredibly efficient, so you can easily explore the country and see a lot of the attractions.
But of course, we know that most of you would be keen to explore Amsterdam, so here are some of our favorite kids attractions in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam Kids Attractions:
- Take the kids to play glow-in-the-dark minigolf. You can grab some online tickets here.
- Go on an educational visit to the museums! You can grab some Skip-the-Line tickets for a private guided tour through both Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum here.
- Enjoy an outdoor tour to the Dutch countryside’s windmills and factories. Book your half-day tour here.
- Have fun on the rides at the Efteling theme park! Grab your ticket online here.
It’s a good idea to purchase a Museumkaart because it will allow you to access a lot of different attractions, and many times, skip the lines.
We really believe that the Netherlands is one of the best places to travel Europe with kids, whether they are young or older! You can find more info on what to do with kids in Amsterdam here.
5. England with Kids
Another one of the top favourite countries that proudly takes up its place on the best places to visit in Europe with kids list. The locals speak English, there are efficient public transportation systems in place and the locals are very friendly.
All our favorite features to tick the boxes as one of the best places to visit with kids in Europe.
Where to Go with Kids in England:
We love visiting London with our kids. There’s also so much for kids to do, including going on a Harry Potter Tour, riding the tube to a local market, visiting Legoland or taking a trek to see Big Ben. Here is a list of our favorite kids attractions:
London Kids Attractions:
- Explore the best sights on a Harry Potter Tour. Book your spots on the Harry Potter walking tour here.
- Fun for the whole family on a bus Hop-On-Hop-Off. Book your tickets here.
- Visit SEA LIFE and learn about the incredible marine life. Secure some tickets online here.
- The kids will love seeing all the animals at the Zoo! Grab your tickets online here.
- Get the family's blood rushing at the London Dungeon. Grab your tickets online here
In fact, because there are just so many attractions and sights to see throughout the country, you may find yourself having to save some of the sights you wanted to see for your next trip as there just won’t be enough time to do it all.
6. Italy with Kids
Italy was a favorite of ours when traveling around Europe with kids. With a beautiful Mediterranean coastline and ancient ruins and famous art and historic influences, there is so much to be discovered for the whole family!
Don’t forget to enjoy some gelato or a good slice of pizza while you are in Italy.
Where to Go with Kids in Italy:
Italy is a large country that can take up to 12 hours to travel from one side to the other, so you may want to choose a particular part of Italy to visit with your family in Europe.
We spent 3 months traveling around Italy with our kids and there are so many wonderful places to visit. I know that Rome and Florence are two popular destinations, so here are some ideas of what to do in each:
Rome Kids Attractions:
The Colosseum is enjoyed by a lot of travelers as it’s very unique. Make sure you also take your children to the Spanish Steps as long as they are up for a bit of a climb.
- Explore the famous Colosseum! Grab your Skip-the-Line tickets with a guided tour here.
- Walk along with the gorgeous Spanish steps
- Take a rickshaw ride around the city
- Take a tour of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. Grab your Skip-the-Line tickets here.
Florence Kids Attractions:
- Admire the incredible art at the Uffizi Museum (more suitable for older kids). Grab your tickets online here.
- Climb the famous Duomo for an amazing view! Grab your tickets for the tour here.
- Take the kids for a pizza and gelato-making class!
Many families make Italy their top choice for travel each year. There’s a lot to do here, no matter how old your children are. It might just be my pick as the best place in Europe for kids – but don't just take my word for it, book your trip and try it out for yourself!
7. Belgium with Kids
Known for its waffles, how could families not love Belgium? This country is smaller compared to other countries in Europe, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in culture and food.
Where to Go with Kids in Belgium:
Belgium is a great country to explore with kids as you can easily move around by train. We absolutely adore Brussels and Bruges. Here are some suggestions of kids attractions in both of these beautiful cities:
Brussels Kids Attractions:
- Families must visit Brussels to check out the Grand Palace or the Tintin Boutique (to pick up some comic books).
- Take the kids to see the amazing Atomium. Grab your admission tickets here.
- Participate in a chocolate workshop!
Bruges Kids Attractions:
- Take the family on a history and magic tour of Bruges to see the city! Grab some tickets for the tour here.
- Check out the amazing 3D Sculpture of Musea that was produced by 40 artists. Grab tickets online here.
- Go on a fun rickshaw tour of the city
- Enjoy a lively medieval dinner show as a family
- It’s also worth visiting Bruges to see both the Chocolate and French Fry Museums.
Traveling Tip: Best way to get around Brussels is by taxi. You can book your Brussels taxi here
8. Spain with Kids
This country isn’t just for adults. Children can have a great time here too. It has a rich history and plenty of places to explore.
Where to Go with Kids in Spain:
Spain is a beautiful country with so much to offer any type of traveler. Thanks to the country's high-speed trains, you can access a lot of destinations in a short period of time, but Barcelona was one of our favorites for the kids!
Barcelona Kids Attractions:
- Visit the zoo and entertain the kids with a dolphin show! Grab your tickets here.
- Take a family tour of the Sagrada familia
- There are many parks and beaches to visit if your children are in need of a little bit of downtime.
Families can also enjoy a lot of historic treasures including Isabella’s Alcazar and Sagrada Familia.
9. Germany with Kids
One of the main reasons why Germany is a great destination to travel to with children is that it has affordable public transportation. This means that you can save money by not having to rent a car and can splurge on some of the many activities here.
A lot of individuals do speak English in this country and are more than happy to help tourists with whatever they need.
The winter months are the best time to visit Germany with children as travelers can visit the memorable Berlin Christmas markets.
Where to Go with Kids in Germany:
Families will love the interactive museums and informative outings to keep the kids entertained while exploring the best places in Germany to travel with kids!
You can start out by planning your trip around popular destinations such as Berlin and Munich.
Berlin Kids Attractions:
- Explore the many sights and landmarks in Berlin on a Hop-On-Hop-Off tour.
- Take the kids to the Legoland Discovery Center!
- Visit the Berlin Zoo and Tierpark
Munich Kids Attractions:
- Kids will love the amazing fairytale-like castles from Munich! Book your day trip here.
- Explore the beautiful parks and incredible architecture of the churches and cathedrals.
Germany is definitely one of the best places in Europe for kids, with its other worldly charm with castles and medieval towns and all the mythical parks and safe outdoor areas to explore.
10. Denmark with Kids
Wondering where to go with kids in Europe that is a little under-the-radar?
Denmark is often forgotten about when planning family travel to Europe. It’s a shame as it’s very family-friendly. The public transportation system is extremely efficient which makes it easy to see a lot of the sights while you are here.
Many businesses will go out of their way to accommodate families, and children in Denmark are rarely made to feel unwelcome by the locals!
Where to go with Kids in Denmark:
Copenhagen is a great city to visit with little ones as there’s a lot to do. The Tivoli Gardens was one of our favorites and has theatres, gardens, and plenty of rides to keep children entertained. We can also recommend Odense.
Here are some ideas of what to do in each of these destinations.
Copenhagen Kids Attractions:
- Spend a day of fun for the whole family on the rides at Tivoli Gardens. Grab your skip-the-line tickets here.
- Kids will love trying to navigate the maze at the escape room in Copenhagen! Book your 1-hour escape room experience here.
- Go on a tour of the must-see untold stories of Copenhagen to see the best sights and learn all about the city
Odense Kids Attractions:
- Navigate the charming streets and lovely green parks all around
- Take the kids to Odense Zoo to see all the animals and shows
- Enjoy the museums
Denmark is filled with theme parks, amusement parks, zoos, and child-friendly beaches that make it one of the best places to travel in Europe with kids.
11. France with Kids
Being one of the most popular countries to visit for all travelers, it should come as no surprise that France is a great place for families to visit in Europe!
However as a word of caution, whilst we list France as one of the best places to take kids in Europe, I didn't find their culture as welcoming to babies and toddlers. Perfect for older kids though!
Where to Visit in France with Kids:
France has many alpine villages and breathtaking architecture to explore and has many gardens and outdoor activities that make it a great place for a European family vacation!
Of course, you can't go to France and not visit Paris, but we also really love places such as Nice and Colmar for family trips too.
Paris Kids Attractions:
Kids will create memories they cherish forever as they find themselves in awe looking at the Eiffel Tower, enjoy the exhibits at The Natural History Museum and be amazed at the Paris Catacombs.
- Walk around Luxembourg Gardens and take the kids for a spin on the old-fashioned carousel in Tuileries Gardens
- Go on a cruise on the Seine river with a unique perspective on the famous landmarks of Paris
- Ascend the Eiffel Tower and marvel at the view over Paris. Grab your skip-the-lin with host tickets online here.
- Go to Disneyland! A must-do in Paris with kids! Grab your tickets online here.
Tip: Despite having a decent public transportation system, you may find yourself doing a lot of walking. Make sure you plan for plenty of breaks and wear comfortable shoes.
12. Czech with Kids
Czech is one of the most fascinating countries to visit with kids in Europe. It’s full of historical sights and amazing castles with intricate infrastructure, and has many medieval museums to explore!
After the endless stream of exhibitions and walking gets to the kids, it’s also a great place to find some fun child-specific attractions!
Where to go in Czech with Kids:
Czech is a country of many wonders, but one of the best European cities for Kids has to be its capital, Prague. Children often travel free or for a discounted price and have cheaper admission fees to many of the attractions!
Prague Kids Attractions:
- Visit the Prague Castle and explore its fairytale-like wonder! Grab your small group tour here.
- Visit Mořský Svět, the country’s largest water tank that is filled with lots of fish!
- Enjoy the rides at Prague’s Aquapalace Waterworld! Grab your tickets online here.
- Check out the National Technical Museum, which is an oversized room stuffed with huge locomotives and old-fashioned cars.
- The kids will love the Prague Zoo. It’s a well-tended zoo with an extensive collection of exotic animals.
Typically completely forgotten about, Czech definitely deserves a spot on the best places to go in Europe with kids listicle.
Summary of the Best Family Holiday Destinations in Europe
I know that was probably a bit of a mouth full and I thought it might be a good idea to quickly give you an easy to scan list of best European countries to visit with kids which were mentioned above:
Hopefully one of those kid-friendly countries in Europe made your heart fill with excitement.
Final Thoughts on Your Next European Family Vacation
Europe is a continent that is full of magic and awe-inspiring places that you don’t need to be an adult to appreciate! These were some of the best European vacations with kids.
From the magnificent castles to the cultural ebbs and flows of each incredibly unique place, there is just so much hidden in the mountains and valleys of this vast continent.
These amazing cities were easy to explore with children, and offered safe environments and efficient transport systems that made them some of the best places for family vacations in Europe!
TOP TIP FOR PLACES TO STAY
If you are looking to book accommodation, check out comparison websites, like Cozycozy. The website compares accommodation options all in one place using 100+ providers like Airbnb, booking.com, Vrbo, and other big names. This way you are sure to find the best accommodation according to your budget and needs such as family-friendly accommodation from guesthouses, hotels, b&b, hostels, treehouses, and houseboats, you name it and you find it.
You Might Also Be Interested In:
6 Action-Packed Family Adventure Holiday Ideas
Check out the best luggage for kids here
Leave us a Comment:
- Have you been to any of these destinations with your kids? Did you have a fabulous time there?
- Do you have any recommendations on the best family vacations in Europe that you can add to our list?