The name itself, Bay of Fires, has always sparked my interest and my imagination takes me to a wonderland of pictures, feelings, and colors whenever I hear it.
I have read that even Lonely Planet has named the Bay of Fires, Tasmania, the hottest travel destination in the world. Naturally, I was intrigued by this magical place.
Tasmania, in Australia, is one of the most beautiful places that I have had the pleasure of visiting. The natural magic is all around you!
To me, the sensation of being in this place can only be named by few words, like untouched and extraordinarily pretty. Throw in a giant national park and you have perfection. It is truly a beautiful place to visit!
Amongst it all, located on the east coast of Tasmania, is the incredible gem called Bay of Fires.
Be sure to read all about other the Freycinet National Park and the incredible Wineglass Bay as well!
About the Bay of Fires, Tasmania
Originally, I thought the name Bay of Fires came from the bright and rusty orange color of the rocks scattered all along the bay. I really like my version of the story, but I was wrong.
The name comes from the explorer Captain Tobias Furneaux, in 1773, who saw a smattering of fires along the bay from the safety of his ship.
Once upon a time, numerous Aboriginal tribes resided here and you can still find some signs of those original nomads.
Where is the Bay of Fires in Tasmania?
The Bay of Fires stretches about 50km starting from Binalong Bay in the South to Eddystone Point in the North of Tasmania.
Many travellers choose to visit the Bay of Fires from Launceston. There is a very popular day tour that you can book through Viator. It is a fun tour that allows you to see Bay of Fires, Weldborough Pass, and Fingal Valley. It also includes a visit to a lavender farm, as well as the opportunity to try fresh oysters at an oyster farm. They will pick you up from your hotel.
>>> You can grab more info and check pricing on this tour here.
Top 3 Best things to do in Bay of Fires Tasmania
Nowadays, this place is a wonderland for the eyes, and all you need is the right Bay of Fires itinerary to discover its beauty.
This is a place to visit and admire, then snap some of the most perfect photos and leave in peace for future travelers. It is a truly remarkable destination!
1. Binalong Bay
If you are looking for the best things to do in Binalong Bay, then the answer is sightseeing and relaxation.
We didn’t stay here long, as we impatiently wanted to get to other areas a bit further on the list. However, this is where we have begun our Bay of Fires journey.
Guided by a recommendation from a local information center we have decided to start our travels at the Binalong Bay lookout.
If you want to get a glimpse of what’s in store at the Bay of Fires, Binalong Bay is the perfect place to start!
Many of the rocks are covered with bright orange lichen, which creates the most spectacular view in the sunlight.
2. Sloop Reef
As you drive to the Sloop Reef and other destinations along the Bay of Fires, you have to get back on the Binalong Bay Road and take a right to The Gardens Road.
About 10 mins later you will find the entrances to many of the camping spots. Amongst them, there is this amazing little slice of paradise.
Park the car, get your camera in hand and off you go to this picture-perfect beach!
We were recommended to head left and take a relaxing walk on the sugar white sandy beach. It is easy to see why people from around the world flock here to absorb just a little bit of the magic.
There are a lot of camping areas all along the bay, but we felt like we were the only ones here.
I think it’s part of the beauty of this place. It’s big enough for all of us and everyone who comes here leaves only footprints.
This beautiful and untouched spot is unmissable on your Bay of Fires to do list!
3. Cosy Corner
As you make your way further up the beach, you will be surrounded by giant boulders. I could not resist and just had to climb up the many rocks here.
I guess every time I see something to climb, the kid inside me awakens and takes over! There is a plus to this childish behavior, as you can get some pretty cool photos from being just a little bit higher.
How high did you climb on these rocks?
The rocky maze then continues into a stunning formation!
Walk along the whitest sand between the beautifully rust-colored rocks and crystal-clear turquoise water.
Surrounded by panoramic views of nature’s magic, there better be a poet amongst you, because you will need to invent some new words to describe it.
I think we spent the most time here, exploring the rocks and checking out every crevice, just in case there is something hiding out of sight.
Stunning rocky formations, some smooth like a pebble and others sharp as a knife, filled the beachside landscape.
Make sure to have appropriate footwear for exploring the rocks! I was running around and jumping from place to place, whilst my gorgeous wife relaxed and watched my shenanigans.
Off course I needed to stand as high as I could, so I made my way to the tallest rock I could find, and Jolene snapped this next pic.
I think I just feel more freedom and peace in my soul when I am conquering any peak or achieving a dream. In a way, I think that’s what drives me. Traveling to all these destinations is truly amazing and it is some kind of achievement as well.
So we hope that our stories inspire you to take that next step yourself! Take a leap to reach your own freedom and peace, and to concur your own peaks.
Ok, ok, back to the story!
Regardless of how many days you spend camping here, or venturing out for an afternoon like us, you will find only peace and relaxation.
Maybe that’s why this place exists…to calm you down, to slow you down and restart a fire in your heart, getting you back to what is really important.
I think, what is really important for me, is to spend as many moments like this with my amazing wife and family.
I want to share these stories with you, our readers, in hopes to intrigue and inspire you to draw your own maps, and to create your own tracks.
What do you say?
Other Bay of Fire Activities
On a visit to the Bay of Fires, things to do are in no short supply! One of the most recommended Bay of Fires activities are, of course, the guided walks. This one is the best by far!
1. 3 Day Guided Walk of the Bay of Fires
Join Life’s An Adventure on a fantastic 3 day Bay of Fires guided walk. This magical landscape of stunning contrasts features pure white beaches, vivid orange granite boulders and a ribbon of sapphire and emerald seas, all fringed with rich forests.
- 2 Nights in a charming Waterfront Beachshack is included!
Find more information about this walking tour with Life’s an Adventure.
Where to Stay in Bay of Fires?
On your visit to the Bay of Fires, where to go for accommodation can be an important decision. Luckily, there are tonnes of places to stay on the orange rocks of Tasmania.
Here are some of the best recommendations and most sought-after Bay of Fires accommodation choices!
Bay of Fires Accommodation
- There’s a wide choice of Bay of Fires Tasmania campsites for those who like to rough it!
- The Bay of Fires Lodge offers a comfortable setting when in Ansons Bay. The lodge provides cosy rooms, designed to fit the needs of any traveler.
Binalong Bay Accommodation
- Villa Vista Binalong Bay for your choice of comfortable homely rooms in a great location!
- BIG4 St Helens Holiday Park – for your choice of affordable accommodation options, why not book in a stay at the BIG4 park. Situated in St Helens and close to the area's many tourist attractions.
Essential Tips Before you Travel to Tasmania
- Click here for bucket-loads of tips and hints of how to prepare for Tasmania!
- You can find gorgeous campsites with spectacular views or go exploring in the bay along with an award-winning luxury eco-lodge experience through the Bay of Fires Walk.
- Check out our list of where we stayed throughout Tasmania and find out which are the best places to stay in Tasmania on your road trip.
- After more stories about our travels to Tasmania? Click here to read the comprehensive, informative stories of our travels through Tasmania!
The Bay of Fires, Tasmania is one of the most incredible spots to visit! The gorgeous coastline, incredible views and tranquil atmosphere are unbeatable, so don’t wait around, book your ticket now for the trip of a lifetime!
Over to you:
- Which of the top 3 things to do in the Bay of Fires Tasmania grabbed your attention the most?
- When are you going to buy the ticket to your Bay of Fires Tasmania?
Thank you for reading! If you loved our post, please help us grow by choosing to SHARE IT on your favorite social media platform! We will be forever grateful. Happy travels!
Agoda 5% Discount Code
Guys, we have managed to organise a special Agoda discount just for our readers. The code works on any bookings.
Promo Code: Holiday5
Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
Stay period: Anytime
Booking URL: You need to book through our link – Click Here
- Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
- Stay period: Anytime
- The Promotion is non-transferable, non-cumulative and cannot be exchanged for cash or other products. The promo code cannot be resold.
- The Promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions, discount cards, loyalty programs, vouchers, discounted items and fixed price items.
- The customers must enter the eligible promo code to enjoy the Promotion.
- The Promotion is applicable to the selected accommodations in designated destinations made through a dedicated Promotion landing page at following URL: https://www.agoda.com/partners/partnersearch.aspx?pcs=1&cid=1727772
- The Promotion is applicable to accommodation room charges only(excludes taxes, service fees, processing fees, extra charges, personal consumption and the like).
- The Promotion discount will only be displayed on the booking form of the Promotion landing page after entering the eligible promo code.
- The Promotion is subject to the terms and conditions displayed,which are subject to change at any time. In case of a dispute, Agoda’s decision is final.
- Agoda does not guarantee that the Promotion price will be the lowest price available for accommodations.
- Agoda does not guarantee uninterrupted services of the Promotion landing page.