Tuscany embraces the medieval vibe – from buildings in the cities to marvelous vineyards in the outskirts. While cities harbor buildings that embrace old architecture, the countryside still retains its rustic appeal as it did decades ago.
Now, if you’re wondering what is the best time to visit Tuscany, take a quick look at our guide below that will help you prepare for your most anticipated visit here.
The Best Time to Visit Tuscany
Wondering which season and which month is best to visit Tuscany? Here is our guide on when to go to Tuscany.
Tuscany During Spring
No doubt, the best time of the year to visit Tuscany is Spring, which is quickly taken over by Summer in no time.
Months: April to July
When March comes to an end, the days will start to become longer and warmer at maximum temperatures of around 20 degrees C. It will also start to drizzle, which is one of the best ways to instantly feel rejuvenated when the heat has drained all energy.
During this time, you’ll witness nature coming to life again after the long, cold winter days. Birds, trees, and flowers will add to the natural beauty of the region.
May is the best month to visit Tuscany because the temperature will be around 25 degrees C, and you won't find as many tourists around just yet. We do recommend that you still take some jackets with you as we find that the days can feel ‘cold' when it is cloudy and windy. But I prefer this temperature when I'm out all day exploring, rather than having to sweat in the warm summer heat.
Tuscany During Autumn
During September, the temperatures will still be warm enough for spaghetti dresses and shorts. As it gets closer to October, the temperature will drop from around 26 degrees somewhere to 20 degrees C.
Months: September and October
If you’re someone who loves watching the sunset from a hilltop while feeling that mildly cold wind running on your face, then this month is the best time to go to Tuscany.
It is during this time that the grass on those vast rolling hills, along with trees and vineyards start to turn yellow and orange. This change brings about a glow in the countryside during sundown.
And because the temperature is neither hot or cold at this time, going for a swim is not a bad idea. Moreover, there are lesser people on the beaches in September. Keep in mind that it rains every now and then, so make sure you’re geared for that as well.
Tuscany During Winter
Winter in Tuscany is the perfect time for sightseeing and traveling. With a temperature that’s about 7 degrees C, it is a good idea to pack lots of warm clothes for your visit.
Months: December to February
It can get really cold during in Tuscany during the winters. While rainfall is low, snow can be a drawback in the countryside, unless you enjoy it. However, cities like Florence receive a small amount of snow, which makes sightseeing convenient.
Apart from December, all other winter months are very peaceful and quiet at this time.
Just like everywhere else, the cities and towns are filled with Christmas lights and decorations in December, so this would be the best time to travel to Tuscany for a family winter trip.
If you appreciate art and paintings, this is the most ideal time to visit Uffizi Gallery in Florence as there are lesser activities and people around.
Tuscany During Summer
In case you’re set to visit Tuscany in the months of July or August, keep in mind they are the busiest months and the region is packed with people since most people are on summer vacation.
Months: June to August
If you’re looking forward to having the best beach holiday experience, summer is the perfect time for it. During the daytime, the temperature will be too hot outside and we would not recommend going sightseeing then.
Summer is really a bit hot for exploring all day, but you could choose to explore in the mornings or afternoons and spend most of the day at the beach instead. We would recommend visiting the Maremma beaches for a coastal stay during this time as it will be less crowded.
Summer is one of our least favorite times to visit Tuscany as temperatures are hot and sweaty and small towns quickly get overcrowded with tourists.
11. Which places are the best towns to see in Tuscany?
There are so many beautiful places to visit in Tuscany. Of course, you will need to visit Florence, but we especially love San Gimignano, Volterra and Lucca too. You can see our full guide on the best places to visit in Tuscany here.
2. What exciting things can I do in Tuscany?
Here are the few best things you can do during your stay in Tuscany:
- Go down to Chianti and have some wine, derived from their very own vineyards.
- Admire one of the best collections of Renaissance art of Italy in Uffizi.
- Visit one of the main attractions in the region – Cortona. It is a hill-town which offers an unforgettable view of the vast land.
- Go for a long drive and watch the magnificent landscapes of Tuscany in the Val d’Orcia
- Get a bird’s eye view of what the whole of Tuscany looks like by riding on a hot air balloon
- Go spend your time on the beaches of the magical Elba Island and Maremma
So what are you waiting for? Pick out the best time to visit Tuscany because it’s waiting for you! Our recommendations are to visit in either May, June or September. We want you to have one of the most memorable time here.
Until then, all the best!
Agoda 5% Discount Code
Guys, we have managed to organise a special Agoda discount just for our readers. The code works on any bookings.
Promo Code: Holiday5
Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
Stay period: Anytime
Booking URL: You need to book through our link – Click Here
- Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
- Stay period: Anytime
- The Promotion is non-transferable, non-cumulative and cannot be exchanged for cash or other products. The promo code cannot be resold.
- The Promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions, discount cards, loyalty programs, vouchers, discounted items and fixed price items.
- The customers must enter the eligible promo code to enjoy the Promotion.
- The Promotion is applicable to the selected accommodations in designated destinations made through a dedicated Promotion landing page at following URL: https://www.agoda.com/partners/partnersearch.aspx?pcs=1&cid=1727772
- The Promotion is applicable to accommodation room charges only(excludes taxes, service fees, processing fees, extra charges, personal consumption and the like).
- The Promotion discount will only be displayed on the booking form of the Promotion landing page after entering the eligible promo code.
- The Promotion is subject to the terms and conditions displayed,which are subject to change at any time. In case of a dispute, Agoda’s decision is final.
- Agoda does not guarantee that the Promotion price will be the lowest price available for accommodations.
- Agoda does not guarantee uninterrupted services of the Promotion landing page.