Whether you're out on a holiday, leaving the house abandoned is always a risky affair. Our home has most of our valuables and possessions, and we need to take care of it at all times. And that includes the time when we’re physically not present.
Under such circumstances, there are various precautions you need to take to ensure your house remains protected and safe for the entire duration.
You would not want to get back from a relaxed family vacation only to find the house turned upside down, would you? Worry not; here’s a list of some things you can do to make sure everything is all right as rain.
Best Ways to Protect Your Home When You’re Away
1. Lock everything in the house: This is perhaps the most logical and easiest thing you can do to protect your valuables. Make sure to lock every single door or window in your house, including tiny inaccessible windows. This ensures optimal safety and is also the most natural thing to do since you’re going away.
2. Lock the garage door: Automatic garage openers need to be double checked if they are locked and dead-bolted for extra protection, since burglary can happen in incredibly discreet ways. You can never be too safe!
3. Turn off your GPS: When you leave the home car in unknown spaces, make sure to turn off the GPS. We also advise you to change your settings when going on an extended vacation or on a road trip with the car. Tweak the location of your home address to add an additional layer of safety.
4. Remove hidden spare keys: It is always a wise choice to remove additional keys if you have hidden them outside the house, under rocks or even mats. It is easy to guess where a spare key could be hidden and that would be the end of it!
5. Keep your valuables in the safe: If you do not already have a safe in the house, now is the time to invest in one and store all your valuable assets inside. A safe will always come to good use in the long run, even though it might cost you a bit upfront.
6. Home alarm system: This is another thing to invest in to safeguard your house on a daily basis. Home alarm systems are very efficient and can alert you or the security/alarm company as soon as there is a break-in or suspicious behavior around the house. Apart from that, you need to notify your alarm company before leaving for a vacation to keep them vigilant. Verisure home alarm systems is a security firm that can help if you don’t have an alarm already.
7. Seeking help: Having good neighbors is very beneficial when you're away on a trip. Make sure to inform your close ones who live nearby to keep a watch and keep you informed. They don't necessarily need to clear out your trash, but they can help in keeping an eye while you're away.
8. Mimic that you're not away: Try and set timers on your lights and appliances in the house to mimic as if there is some activity going on. An empty-looking house is more prone to burglary and suspicion; hence this is a good option. Make sure to stop the mail service for the period that you're away, or else it will pile up in front of your front door, making it obvious that you're away. Newspaper delivery needs to be paused for the period too.
9. Mow the lawns: If you're away for an extended period, make sure you appoint someone to mow your lawns and keep it neat and clean. It should not give the impression of being abandoned for a long period.
10. Avoid power surges: Apart from a few of your timed appliances and lights, make sure that everything is turned off and safe. Any short-circuit, or climatic changes can spark fuses in your electrical panel and ultimately be dangerous for the house. It’s also wise to cut off the power supply if possible.
11. Be cautious with social media: Social media has now become an open platform for people around your network and beyond to know where you're going or what you're doing. Be careful what you update on your social media accounts when you’re away as it may trigger potential harm if the house is abandoned.
12. Protect your pipes: Keep a check on the pipes in your home and make sure they are adequately sealed and insulated. If it’s the winter, the pipes may need to be checked by your trustworthy friend/relative to avoid freezing.
13. Arrange for housesitting services: Yes, you read that right! Some housesitting professionals can be hired before departure to make sure they protect your home till you return. You can also instruct them to perform some essential chores too. A brilliant idea if you have a pet that gets lonely when you are away as well. The TrustedHousesitters is a popular website to use when you need to find someone to house sit.
14. Keep the blinds open/closed: If you generally keep your curtains open/closed, keep it that way when you leave. This ensures that there are fewer chances of people knowing that you're away.
15. Exterior lighting: If you already have exterior lighting, install the ones that come with timers so that they can automatically turn on and off. This again makes sure that the house does not look deserted or empty.
16. Arrange for your trash to be taken out: This is another arrangement which you should make before leaving for a vacation. Trash not only attracts pests and rodents, but it also gives the impression that there is no one at home.
These are just some of the measures and precautions you can take to keep your home safe when you're away, enjoying a blissful vacation. Precautions go a long way, and this will surely save you from a lot of hassle! So are you ready to start planning your next vacation yet?