Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak is an easy journey to make by road, with a mere distance of approximately 165km from one bus stop to the other.
Saying that there are also a few other travel options to choose from based on your preferences.
Even if you’re short for time, you could easily spend one day in Phuket, and move on to Khao Lak for the next.
In this guide, we have outlined the best options to help you decide how to get from Phuket Thailand to the small, peaceful villages in and around Khao Lak.
Getting from Phuket to Khao Lak
No matter where your starting point is in Phuket, there are basically three ways of getting from Phuket to Khao Lak: the Phuket Khao Lak Bus, a shared minivan, or a taxi.
Whilst buses and minibuses have the advantage of being the cheaper options, taxis are more flexible and have the added bonus of taking you directly from your hotel in Phuket to your destination in Khao Lak.
Distance from Phuket to Khao Lak
The distance from Phuket to Khao Lak is just over 100kms, depending on where in Phuket you are coming from. The journey should take approximately 2 hours.
How to get to Khao Lak from Phuket
Traveling from Phuket to Khao Lak is an easy journey to make by road. There are a few different options available to choose from depending on your travel needs:
Option 1: Bus from Phuket to Khao Lak
Public buses offer the cheapest form of transport from Phuket to Khao Lak. They’re commonly known as the ‘red bus’, and most of them have air-conditioning and run fairly regularly.
If you’re used to traveling independently and enjoy meeting people along the journey and taking in the scenery on the ride, then this is probably a good option for you.
If you’re coming from the airport, you’ll need to make your way to the main road (approximately 5km from the airport) and then flag down the bus.
You’ll then need to look for buses that are traveling to either Takuapa, Ranong or Surat Thani, as these buses all pass through Khao Lak.
These local bus tickets can’t be booked in advance, and so require less planning and allow for more sporadic traveling.
Journey Time: Between 2-4 hours
Perfect For: Travelers looking for the cheapest route
Cost Involved: Around USD $4.4
Option 2: Phuket to Khao Lak Minibus
If you’re looking for a little more comfort and flexibility or are traveling with a small group, the minivan is a second option that is cheaper than a taxi.
The drawback to this mode of transport is that the minibus may spend some time driving from hotel to hotel picking up passengers before beginning the journey.
Once on the road, the trip should take around 2.5 hours, with a nifty local driver.
This is also a convenient option if you’re trying to get to Khao Lak from Phuket airport.
Journey Time: 2.5 hours
Perfect For: Travelers looking for a comfortable ride
Cost Involved: USD $23
Check out your current prices for the minivan from Phuket airport on Get Your Guide here.
Option 3: Phuket to Khao Lak Taxi
There are multiple advantages to traveling by taxi from Phuket to Khao Lak if costs are not one of your concerns.
Private taxis can be booked in advance and collect you from Phuket airport or your specified hotel or location anywhere in Phuket and drive you directly to your location in Khao Lak.
This hassle-free door-to-door service is definitely a bonus when traveling by taxi. Depending on your needs, you could book anything from a standard sedan to a 9-seater van.
The taxis also offer more freedom! You are able to decide when you’d like to leave and can request to stop along the way.
Journey Time: 2 hours
Perfect For: Travelers looking for the quickest route
Cost Involved: USD $50
Check out the current prices for a private taxi from Phuket to Khao Lak transfer here.
All in all, your mode of transport when traveling from Phuket to Khao Lak will depend on your budget and schedule.
If you’re wanting to save money and don’t mind less space and comfort and you’re not in a rush, then the local buses are a great way to meet locals and decide when you would like to leave.
If you prefer to arrange all your travel plans in advance, or are traveling with a group who you’d like to split costs with, in a more private ride, then booking a taxi could be a better option for you.
If you have a larger group of people traveling together or would like the middle ground, then we’d recommend the shared minivan as your best bet.
More about Khao Lak
Stain in one of the best hotels in Khao Lak here.
Check out the best beaches in Khao Lak here.
Explore the best things to do in Khao Lak here.
Agoda 5% Discount Code
Guys, we have managed to organise a special Agoda discount just for our readers. The code works on any bookings.
Promo Code: Holiday5
Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
Stay period: Anytime
Booking URL: You need to book through our link – Click Here
- Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
- Stay period: Anytime
- The Promotion is non-transferable, non-cumulative and cannot be exchanged for cash or other products. The promo code cannot be resold.
- The Promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions, discount cards, loyalty programs, vouchers, discounted items and fixed price items.
- The customers must enter the eligible promo code to enjoy the Promotion.
- The Promotion is applicable to the selected accommodations in designated destinations made through a dedicated Promotion landing page at following URL: https://www.agoda.com/partners/partnersearch.aspx?pcs=1&cid=1727772
- The Promotion is applicable to accommodation room charges only(excludes taxes, service fees, processing fees, extra charges, personal consumption and the like).
- The Promotion discount will only be displayed on the booking form of the Promotion landing page after entering the eligible promo code.
- The Promotion is subject to the terms and conditions displayed,which are subject to change at any time. In case of a dispute, Agoda’s decision is final.
- Agoda does not guarantee that the Promotion price will be the lowest price available for accommodations.
- Agoda does not guarantee uninterrupted services of the Promotion landing page.