Are you trying to figure out how to say hello in different languages? Below we have a list of 65 ways to say hello in foreign languages. As frequent travellers we place importance on learning different ways to say hello. I think it is so beneficial to learn at least the basic words in the language of the country that you are visiting.
To say hello in many languages might be slightly challenging for those who aren’t inclined to learning languages easily; but it truly is worth the effort! We have also included some phrase books as well as learning lesson for those who wish to extend their vocab.
On our list, we include 65 ways to say hello in other languages; from how to say hello in French; how to say hello in German; to how to say hello in Chinese and Korean; and more!
How to Say Hello in Different Languages
– A list of 65 different languages and dialects –
Here is a hello in different languages list; in 65 different languages and dialects in fact!
AFRIKAANS – Goeie dag
ALBANIAN – Tungjatjeta (toon-jah-TYEH-tah)
ARABIC – Ahlan bik
BASQUE – Kaixo (kai-sho)
BELARUSIAN – Vitaju (vee-TAH-you)
BENGALI – Nomoskar
BOSNIAN – Selam
BRETON – Demat (de-mat)
BULGARIAN – Zdravej (zdrah-VEY)
BURMESE – Mingala ba
CATALAN – Hola (OH-lah)
CHINESE – Nín hao
CROATIAN – Zdravo
CZECH – Nazdar
DANISH – Hallo
DUTCH – Hallo
ESTONIAN – Tere (TEHR-reh)
FILIPINO – Helo
FINNISH – Moi (moy) / Hei (hay)
FRENCH – Bonjour (bohn-ZHOOR)
FRISIAN – Goeie (GOO-ee)
GERMAN – Guten Tag
GREEK – Geia!
HEBREW – Shalóm (shah-LOHM)
HINDI – Namasté
HUNGARIAN – Szia (SEE-ah)
ICELANDIC – Halló (ha-loh)
INDONESIAN – Hai
INUPIAQ – Kiana
IRISH – Dia duit (DEE-ah GHWIT)
ITALIAN – Buongiorno (bwohn JOHR-noh)
JAPANESE – Kónnichi wa
KOREAN – Annyeonghaseyo
LAO – Sabai dii
LATIN – Ave
LATVIAN – Es mīlu tevi
LUXEMBOURGISH – Moïen (moy-en)
MALAY – Selamat petang
MONGOLIAN – Sain baina uu
NEPALI – Namaste
NORTHERN SOTHO – Dumêlang (doo-meh-lang)
NORWEGIAN – Hallo
PERSIAN – Salâm
POLISH – Cześć (cheshch)
PORTUGESE – Olá
ROMANIAN – Salut
RUSSIAN – Privét (pree-VYEHT)
SAMOAN – Talofa (tah-low-fah)
SERBIAN – ćao
SESOTHO – Dumela (doo-meh-lah)
SLOVAK – Nazdar
SLOVENE – Zdravo (ZDRAH-voh)
SPANISH – Hola
SWAHILI – Jambo
SWEDISH – Hej
TAGALOG – Halo
TAHITIAN – Ia ora na (ee-ah oh-rah-na)
THAI – Sàwàtdee kráp
TONGAN – Mālō e lelei (mah-loh ah leh-leh)
TURKISH – Merhaba
UKRANIAN – Pryvít (prih-VEET)
URUDU – Adaab arz hai
VIETNAMESE – Chào
WELSH – S’mae (s-my/shoo-my)
YIDDISH – A gutn tog (a goo-ten tawg)
Being able to say hello in multiple languages is truly invaluable as a traveller. In actual fact it is one of the first things we ask our taxi driver as we leave the airport upon arrival – ‘How do you say hello?’, ‘How do you say thank you?’ and ‘How do you say, how much?’.
I hope you have found our list of of ways to say hi in different languages interesting!
Do you want to Learn a New Language?
With apps and online programs, it is easier than ever to learn a new language. Sign up for one month and learn the basics or sign up on a month-by-month basis and become an expert! We love Babble as they offer interactive language learning courses, download the app and learn on the go!
Grab the Infographic:
Leave us a Comment:
- Do you know of any other ways to say hello that we might have missed?
- What is your number? How many times can you say hello in foreign languages?
- We have listed 65 ways to say hello in various languages; I would love to know which way is your favourite?
* Wanderluststorytellers.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and other Amazon sites.
Agoda 5% Discount Code
Guys, we have managed to organise a special Agoda discount just for our readers. The code works on any bookings.
Promo Code: Holiday5
Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
Stay period: Anytime
Booking URL: You need to book through our link – Click Here
- Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
- Stay period: Anytime
- The Promotion is non-transferable, non-cumulative and cannot be exchanged for cash or other products. The promo code cannot be resold.
- The Promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions, discount cards, loyalty programs, vouchers, discounted items and fixed price items.
- The customers must enter the eligible promo code to enjoy the Promotion.
- The Promotion is applicable to the selected accommodations in designated destinations made through a dedicated Promotion landing page at following URL: https://www.agoda.com/partners/partnersearch.aspx?pcs=1&cid=1727772
- The Promotion is applicable to accommodation room charges only(excludes taxes, service fees, processing fees, extra charges, personal consumption and the like).
- The Promotion discount will only be displayed on the booking form of the Promotion landing page after entering the eligible promo code.
- The Promotion is subject to the terms and conditions displayed,which are subject to change at any time. In case of a dispute, Agoda’s decision is final.
- Agoda does not guarantee that the Promotion price will be the lowest price available for accommodations.
- Agoda does not guarantee uninterrupted services of the Promotion landing page.