So how exactly do travellers make money?
There are so many ways in which you can make money whilst travelling:
- You can use the skills you already have. For example if you are a hair stylist you can cut, colour and style hair anywhere in the world. If you are a teacher, you could travel as you teach your way around the world. If you love art, you could run little art workshops wherever you are based. If you are great at photography, you could organize destination shoots or even sell your photos online, etc.
>>> See our list of the 27 best travel jobs!
- Do freelance work. Some of our income that we make is due to freelance content work. We write blog posts for two different companies. They pay us $235 per 500 word article. We have to write three posts a month, so this comes to $705 a month.
- Run a travel blog. We all know that we can make money from a blog. But you also need to understand that you will need to work very hard for at least 1-2 years before you can build a reliable steady monthly income from your blog. There are many ways in which you can make income from a blog such as by running ads, writing sponsored content, including affiliate links in your posts, create guides and itineraries to sell, and so much more. Our blog is just over two years old and we make around $2000-$3000 from it in a month (and we also get sponsored travel opportunities through it as well)
- Running niche sites. You can also build sites that are specifically designed to sell products through Amazon. Or sites that are focused on running ads. We are currently making $660 through our one niche site that is only 8 months old.
There are so many other ways in which you can make money. It all comes down to how long you plan on staying put in each destination as well as how hard you want to work at it.
Many people think that running a travel blog is easy. But yet I think it is the hardest I have ever worked, and for so many months I worked incredibly hard for very little financial return. Even now, after 2 years, if I calculate my hourly rate, the pay would be very little per hour.
But I know that I can increase it and I am happy that it is enough to allow me to be a full time blogger. Keep reading to find out how we make money through our blog.
NEVER MISS AN INCOME REPORT!
Add your Email Now!
How Much Money does our Travel Blog Make?
Travel Income | July 2017
– Prices in AUD –
Income for July: AUD $2073.25
Mediavine Ads – $288
Sponsored Posts – $985.75 (Strategies we learnt from the ‘How to Make Money Blogging’ eBook)
Amazon Affiliate – $212
Social Media Influencer Posts – $225 (Tribe and Vamp)
Commission Junction Commission – $85.50
Agoda – $33
HotelsCombined Affiliate – $99
Transports Company Affiliates – $51
Own Product Sold – $27.50 (Itinerary)
Other – $64.50
Expenses for March: AUD $160.67
Grum.Co Monthly Fee: $12.94 – A great program to schedule your Instagram posts, it will also post your first comment full of hashtags too! I love it!
Coschedule Monthly Fee: $24.98 – I need this program in my workflow, it is an essential program for me! As soon as I schedule my post, I can schedule out my tweets, Facebook posts, Instagram and Pinterest with this. Brilliant for when you are travelling. Set and forget and it will post for you when the post goes live.
KeySearch Monthly Fee: $17.75 – Our go-to program to find good keywords for Google. We also use it to track posts that we want to keep an eye on. If you sign up now, we can give you a 20% discount voucher to use – KSDISC
Optinmonster Yearly Fee: $105 – Our choice for newsletter subscribe boxes. They have so many beautiful boxes and so many options and ways in which you can get your readers to subscribe.
NET PROFIT: $1912.58
JOIN OUR FREE BLOGGING MINI-COURSE
Add your Email Now!
Age of Blog: 2 Years & 2 Months
Social Media Followers: 70K+
Unique Visitors on Blog: 25K+
Pageviews on Blog: 40K+
So there you have it, our latest travel blog income report update! Our new goals are to set up some email marketing and to keep increasing our traffic.
——— HANDY TRAVEL BLOG RESOURCES ———
1. Our FREE Workshop: 5 Steps to More Traffic and More Income!
Maximise the content you already have with these result-driven strategies. 5 Steps to more traffic and more income? Well why the heck not!! Learn more about how to do these things in the free email course below!
2. How to Make Money from Blogging by Sharon Gourlay
The first investment we made was in a book, a very affordable book that is chock-a-block filled to the brim with a wealth of information on how to make money through a blog. It contains steps on how to make money in 7 different main ways. It also contains information on setting goals, how to work out your price, as well as how to create your ‘work with us page’ & media kit.
It has templates for emails you can send out to companies! It is brilliant and it is awesome! And it is on sale for ONLY $24.99. I have a long way to go to match the author, Sharon’s, 5 figure income! But I have already seen money coming in from some of the things that I have implemented from this book!
3. Make some Business Cards for your Travel Blog
Business Cards are invaluable if you are serious about running your blog as a business! We hand them out everywhere we can to expose people to our brand! It is also great for handing out at the hotels and resorts that you stay with! To us it is a valuable investment that we simply can’t go without! We absolutely love Moo.com for some gorgeous quality cards at very reasonable prices!!
If it is time for you to get your business cards printed, and want to give them a go, use this link for 10% discount on your order! You are WELCOME!!
4. How to Start your Travel Blog in Easy Steps
We have simplified the blog-start-up process into 3 easy—peasy steps!! Read our post on how to start up your travel website! I researched all the best prices and low-cost ways to start our blog, so if you like the look and feel of our blog, why not save yourself some work and time and simply follow the same steps?
5. A Beginners Guide to Pinterest:
One of our largest drivers of traffic is STILL currently Pinterest! We are constantly seeing rewards of our work involved with this social media platform! So much so that I recently wrote a comprehensive guide on how to make the most out of Pinterest! If you haven’t read it yet, you should hop over here and have a look! Make sure to download the FREE checklist as well!
And don’t forget to try out Tailwind, use this link to receive one month for free!!!
6. Previous Travel Website Income Reports
If you enjoy our Income Report blog series, please click on this link here to read our previous reports! We made money from the very first month of being open! Never let anyone tell you that you need to wait a few years before you can monetize your blog! Start following our steps and do it now!! Because what are you waiting for??
NEVER MISS AN INCOME REPORT!
Add your Email Now!
- Do you earn money from your blog?
- What are your main income sources?
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Thanks, you rock!