– GUEST POST –
by Melynda from Lawn Mowers Reviewed
We just got back from spending a year abroad. My family and I traipsed through the Alps, explored the markets in Zagreb, Croatia, and Salzburg, Austria, kayaked in Montenegro, and Slovenia. While there were things we missed about our home in the United States—think friends and family—there were several things we didn't miss.
Five Things I Don’t Miss While Traveling
Since we moved from country to country every month, we didn’t take much with us. Each family member had a backpack of clothes and a daypack with electronics and toys. There was more laundry since we only had a week’s worth of clothing, but it was nice not having to deal with all that stuff that can take over one’s life at home. It’s liberating to be able to pick up everything you own and go.
I like harvesting from our garden and planting flowers, but I didn’t miss mowing the lawn. We have the best lawnmower, which makes it easy, but I still didn’t miss it. Trimming trees, pulling weeds, dealing with plant-eating insects, collecting leaves in the fall or pulling out the garden hose to water the garden … I was happy to leave it all behind for a year.
At home, we tend to get sucked into activities, events, and meetings. Some of these things are really fun; some of them are simply necessary. But, for one year, we didn’t have anything we HAD to do. Our days were a mix of work and play…on our own schedule.
Lack of Public Transportation
We got almost everywhere in Europe on train or bus. We didn’t miss having a car, paying for insurance and gas, and looking for parking spaces. It was such a pleasure to hop on a bus near our apartment and hop off anywhere we wanted to. Getting from country to country on the train was easy, relaxing, and clean.
It’s no secret that politics are particularly polarizing in the United States. And while you can’t escape what’s happening in the U.S. no matter where you are, it is a bit of a relief to step outside it for a while and just live an apolitical life.
More about Melynda
Lawn Mowers Reviewed
Melynda is a travel writer, naturalist, and homeschooling mom to two boys. When she isn't traveling or playing outside, you can find her in the garden.
Agoda 5% Discount Code
Guys, we have managed to organise a special Agoda discount just for our readers. The code works on any bookings.
Promo Code: Holiday5
Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
Stay period: Anytime
Booking URL: You need to book through our link – Click Here
- Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
- Stay period: Anytime
- The Promotion is non-transferable, non-cumulative and cannot be exchanged for cash or other products. The promo code cannot be resold.
- The Promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions, discount cards, loyalty programs, vouchers, discounted items and fixed price items.
- The customers must enter the eligible promo code to enjoy the Promotion.
- The Promotion is applicable to the selected accommodations in designated destinations made through a dedicated Promotion landing page at following URL: https://www.agoda.com/partners/partnersearch.aspx?pcs=1&cid=1727772
- The Promotion is applicable to accommodation room charges only(excludes taxes, service fees, processing fees, extra charges, personal consumption and the like).
- The Promotion discount will only be displayed on the booking form of the Promotion landing page after entering the eligible promo code.
- The Promotion is subject to the terms and conditions displayed,which are subject to change at any time. In case of a dispute, Agoda’s decision is final.
- Agoda does not guarantee that the Promotion price will be the lowest price available for accommodations.
- Agoda does not guarantee uninterrupted services of the Promotion landing page.