– GUEST BLOG POST –
A holiday in India with kids and family is like opening a storybook. It’s a memorable and unique experience for all!
From legends of the royals to the bravery of the people; from exciting theme parks to informative museums – the nation has it all. From pampering hospitality to delectable dining, get ready to be enthralled!
India with all its diversity is quite fun to explore for all and it’s especially the kids who are completely awed. On visiting India, your kids will get the first-hand knowledge about nature, history, people, religions, cultures, food and much more. Spark up the love for nature, travel, adventure and a new perspective on life with a visit to India with kids.
If you are not yet convinced, here are the reasons why you will love your family holiday to India!
1. Relive the fairytales of the kings and queens!
Wake up to the majestic views of the Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur
Want to hear a story about the kings and queens? India is dotted with numerous forts and palaces that speak volumes of the romance, architectural creativity, opulent lifestyle and historical legacy. From ‘Floating Palace’ to the ‘Palace of the Winds’ – there is a myriad of them. Make a royal entrance to the majestic forts atop hills in Rajasthan.
What’s better than staying at the heritage hotels of India to recreate the instances from the lives of royals and experiencing them personally! The revamped lavish abodes offer a pleasant stay which your kids will cherish forever.
Destinations to hear the tales of Kings and Queens
- Madhya Pradesh
2. Fun Train Rides with Family
Create memories of a lifetime by travelling in the toy trains of India
Sometimes the journey to a place is more intriguing than the destination itself. When on a family tour to India, children must be pampered with the pleasures of travelling. Trains are surely going to get the kids’ attention.
A joyride in the Toy Trains on the mountain railways which are also UNESCO World Heritage Sites is the best way to soak in the beauty of nature. Passing through tunnels; enjoying the panoramic view of the entire train; whistling of the engine and the moving sound of the train is next to none.
If you want the fun to continue, then India also presents options for luxury train tours in India. Lavish coaches, plush interiors and modern amenities of the luxury trains of India add a ‘WOW’ factor to the voyage. You can have a memorable time with your entire family. From overnight journeys to ones that last an entire week, you can choose for a thrilling family holiday.
Trains to consider for a memorable ride
Day Fun Rides
- Darjeeling-Ghum Mountain Railway
- Kalka-Shimla Mountain Railway
- Mettupalayam to Ooty
Luxury Train Tours
- Maharajas’ Express
- Deccan Odyssey
- Palace on Wheels
3. Sail through the Serene Water on Kettuvallams
Sail along the palm-fringed villages in Kettuvallams
A houseboat cruise on the backwaters of Kerala is truly an incredible experience that should not be missed. The most enchanting thing about a houseboat ride is the spectacular sights of the pristine and otherwise remote rural Kerala that it offers. See how your children get excited at the very thought of sleeping on this floating boat.
Places to enjoy boat rides on the backwaters
- Alleppey or Alappuzha
4. Unravel the wilderness by choosing a wildlife safari
Spot the rare species while on a wildlife safari
Flora and fauna are the two important blessings of nature to humankind. Nothing comes close to an enthralling wildlife safari excursion to explore the undisturbed side natural world. Jot down the names of famous animals native to India and handover the list to your children and see how many they can spot. This could be a fun activity to do while enjoying family holidays in India. Go through the deep dark woods with kids and observe what’s in store for you.
Places to enjoy wildlife safari in India
- Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan
- Jim Corbett National Park, Uttarakhand
- Hemis National Park, Jammu and Kashmir
- Bandhavgarh National Park, Madhya Pradesh
- Kaziranga National Park, Assam
- Kanha National Park, Madhya Pradesh
- Gir National Park, Gujarat
- Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Assam
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Western Ghats of Kerala
5. Get mesmerized by a camel ride during the desert safari
Get ready for a bouncy ride on the ‘Ship of the Desert’
Every inch of India beguiles with something interesting. Even the Thar Desert which is otherwise considered as barren lands, don’t lag behind to lure visitors. Let your kids sway back and forth, bob up and down and delight in the camel ride. Some captivating moments of fulfilled vacation with family await for you. From extremely hot desert to cold ones; from a camel with one hump to the ones with two – you can test it all.
Destinations to enjoy a desert safari in India
- Nubra Valley
- Here is a great guide on how to choose and book a Jaisalmer Camel Safari
6. Admire the beauty of ‘The Taj’
Soak-in the magnificence of Taj Mahal
How can a family tour to India be complete without visiting the Taj Mahal? Built in loving memory of his beloved by Emperor Shah Jahan, the white-marble mausoleum looks truly gorgeous on the full moon night. The splendour of one of the Seven Wonders of the World cast a magical spell on the visitors. Not only the moonlight adds to the charm of the monument but also the sunrise bathes it in the stunning glow. Don’t forget to get your kids clicked in various poses with the Taj.
- Grab some tips to help you plan your visit to the Taj Mahal.
Destinations to visit with the Taj
- Fatehpur Sikri
- Agra Fort
- Mehtab Bagh
7. Let learning be fun by visiting amazing museums
Visit a museum and enhance your kids’ knowledge
India holds history in almost every bit and even the museums are worth visiting. From dolls to kites, everything is efficiently exhibited and hence learning becomes so much fun. Children benefit a lot from this educational trip as it helps them to get familiar with the culture, tradition and heritage of the country. An interesting point to note that some of the museums are not only confined to buildings but there are open-air museums as well.
The top museums in India:
- The National Rail Museum, New Delhi
- Shankar’s International Doll Museum, New Delhi
- Jantar Mantar, New Delhi and Jaipur
- Gandhi Smriti Museum, New Delhi
- Crafts Museum, New Delhi
- Sulabh International Museum of Toilets, New Delhi
- Indian Air Force Museum, New Delhi
- HAL Aerospace Museum, Bengaluru
- Cellular Jail, Port Blair
- Madame Tussauds, New Delhi
8. Endless fun at the beaches
Get splashed, drenched and enjoy the beaches of Goa
Nothing is as joyous as a beach holiday with your entire family. Take your children to the pristine beaches of Goa and bask in the endless sunshine. Make castles in the sand and create a story or enjoy collecting the seashells. Try some water games on the premises of the well-manned shores.
Let the fun begin by paragliding and partaking in banana boat rides. Spending some time at the popular beaches of Goa will allow your child to have fun out in the sun. Have thrilling tropical vacation with your stay at one of luxury beach resorts.
Popular family beaches in Goa
- Palolem Beach
- Arambol Beach
- Patnem Beach
- Cavelossim Beach
9. Learn about religions
Visit religious places and seek divine blessings
People from varied cultures and religions are bonded with a thread of amity and brotherhood in India. Whether it is about the rituals in a temple, bowing down at a mosque, merrymaking of Christmas, lighting up of diyas on Diwali, or the dancing around the holy fire on Lohri; India does it whole-heartedly.
Attending the famous Ganga Aarti at the river Ghats which your children will surely be memorable. Bathe in the colors during Holi, or dance to the beats of Dhak during Durga Pooja. You can rest assured that your kids will yearn to stay here for longer than intended.
Where to go?
10. Savor the delicious Indian cuisine
For a foodie in you!
A trip to India with family and kids can’t be complete without savoring its lip-smacking food like Biryani, Paneer Tikka, and Butter Chicken etc. Choose from a plethora of options of street foods which can satiate your hunger. The nation loves to cater every type of foodie- vegan, vegetarian, meat lover, etc. with not only healthy but also nicely presented food.
Indian moms are so creative that they can make their child finish the full glass of milk by cooking up interesting stories! Your kids won’t say NO to green leafy vegetables or milk after this trip. Let’s bet about it!
Tips to help plan your Indian Holiday with Kids
By adhering to these tips, one can surely plan a memorable vacation.
- Plan your entire trip thoroughly with one of the travel organizers based in India.
- Get your child vaccinated before commencing the journey.
- Carry the essentials for your toddlers along with you as the items might be hard to come by.
- Maintain a distance from stray animals. However, don’t be rude to them.
- A handy medical kit is a must.
Now that you have got the reasons to plan holiday in India with kids, what are you waiting for?
India should be your next stop destination for a splendid vacation with family.
Start planning your holiday and enjoy the sights, delights and pleasures!
Rekha Bisht is a travel enthusiast who loves to visit the most popular as well as offbeat places of the world. She loves to share her travel experiences with fellow travelers. For planning memorable holidays in India or any world destination, you can follow her write-ups.
Agoda 5% Discount Code
Guys, we have managed to organise a special Agoda discount just for our readers. The code works on any bookings.
Promo Code: Holiday5
Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
Stay period: Anytime
Booking URL: You need to book through our link – Click Here
- Booking period: 20 May – 20 Jun 2019
- Stay period: Anytime
- The Promotion is non-transferable, non-cumulative and cannot be exchanged for cash or other products. The promo code cannot be resold.
- The Promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions, discount cards, loyalty programs, vouchers, discounted items and fixed price items.
- The customers must enter the eligible promo code to enjoy the Promotion.
- The Promotion is applicable to the selected accommodations in designated destinations made through a dedicated Promotion landing page at following URL: https://www.agoda.com/partners/partnersearch.aspx?pcs=1&cid=1727772
- The Promotion is applicable to accommodation room charges only(excludes taxes, service fees, processing fees, extra charges, personal consumption and the like).
- The Promotion discount will only be displayed on the booking form of the Promotion landing page after entering the eligible promo code.
- The Promotion is subject to the terms and conditions displayed,which are subject to change at any time. In case of a dispute, Agoda’s decision is final.
- Agoda does not guarantee that the Promotion price will be the lowest price available for accommodations.
- Agoda does not guarantee uninterrupted services of the Promotion landing page.